• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended without Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skirts616

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada
I work on a construction site in Nevada. Four of us were talking the other day. One guy was talking about this stripper who was African American - but he was using the N word to describe her. Everyone was joking around and I said something about it being wrong since his daughter was one (I also used the N word). The next morning, I was sent home upon arriving to work. I was told that they would review a situation where I was harrassing another employee. I was sent home for one week without pay pending review of the situation. Can they do this? Why did no one discuss the incident with me? Why is the other person (who happens to be the owner's son) not also at home without pay? This guy is actually telling everyone within the company that he got me fired as well as our subcontractors and those corresponding companies. What can I do?

Beth3

Can they do this? Yes.

Why did no one discuss the incident with me? I don't know. Perhaps they plan to and just haven't done so yet. The customary format of an investigation is to talk to the complainant and any witnesses first, then speak with the accused and see what he or she has to say.

Why is the other person (who happens to be the owner's son) not also at home without pay? I think you answered that question.

This guy is actually telling everyone within the company that he got me fired as well as our subcontractors and those corresponding companies. What can I do? Being a jerk is not against the law but you certainly are free to contact human resources or your boss and complain about what he's saying. While it's not legally required, the vast majority of employers instruct all the employees involved in a situation like this that everything relative to the complaint, investigation, and outcome is strictly confidential.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">