• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

on suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

german129

What is the name of your state? California

I am 19 and i work at a call center that does telemarketing. the other day the two owners ask to speek to me and my night manager. they tell us that the janitor saw two kids go into the office late at night and were going through the owners offices. later that day the janitor comes in and id's both me and the night supervisor, who is also one of my friends. the next day the owners call us in again and they have their lawyer with them. they said that if i told them right there who put me up to it they would let me go and pursue the other people. i told them i didnt know what they were talking about and one of the owners said, "fine but once you walk out that door, i just want you to know that im coming for you and im coming hard."

couldnt that be considered a threat??

they also decided to suspend us without pay untill they can figure out who did it. most likely we are going to end up gettin fired for something that we did not do. is there anyway to take legal action against them for termination on false grounds or something. this is really frustrating because they are taking a janitors word over two employees that have been there for 7 months and 1.5 yrs.

also i believe the reason they are so mad is because they think we stole information from them.....but they wont even tell us what happend!!!!!

what should i do...get a lawyer??

JETX

"couldnt that be considered a threat??"
*** Yep. But not illegal (if that is what you were getting at).

"they also decided to suspend us without pay untill they can figure out who did it. most likely we are going to end up gettin fired for something that we did not do. is there anyway to take legal action against them for termination on false grounds or something."
*** Nope. You are an at will employee and can be terminated at any time, for any reason (or for no reason at all).

"this is really frustrating because they are taking a janitors word over two employees that have been there for 7 months and 1.5 yrs."

"what should i do..."
*** Start looking for another job.

"get a lawyer??"
*** Nope. No laws have been violated, so an attorney can't do anything.

german129

the reason that i asked if i should get a lawyer is because they said they are going to press charges for theft. personaly i dont think they have enough evidence...all they have is the janitors word that we did it, is that enough???

they also said they would be contacting us to set up a time to talk to their lawyer while under oath.

JETX

"the reason that i asked if i should get a lawyer is because they said they are going to press charges for theft. personaly i dont think they have enough evidence...all they have is the janitors word that we did it, is that enough???"
*** Yes. Even without the 'witness' statement they can file a theft complaint with law enforcement. The police would then investigate and determine if charges are reasonable. And since they have a witness, charges would likely be filed.

"they also said they would be contacting us to set up a time to talk to their lawyer while under oath."
*** That would be the time to consider legal counsel (or when charges are filed). At this point, it would be too early to consider hiring an attorney.

german129

well they said they were going to have a pi come in and i guess try to find more information...so they arent going to use local law inforcement at this time. plus the company does alot of illegal stuff so im assuming that they would try to keep this quiet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">