• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspension for receiving vendor benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SEL

Following an all expenses paid weekend hunting trip, I was suspended from my job due to an ethics violation. I handle freight for my company and was provided with the trip by a transportation company we use. My HR supervisor stated that by accepting this trip, I was in direct violation of company ethics. However, during my two years of employment with this company, I have never been notified of any policies they might have regarding vendor benefits. Furthermore, countless employees have received similar benefits (golf trips, dinner, etc.) and have never been cited. Does the monetary amount of benefits received matter? What about the many others - including upper management - who accept benefits such as this? Also, my company has no employee orientation program and provides no education regarding any policies. What are my options if I am faced with termination?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
SEL

[Edited by SEL on 01-08-2001 at 10:32 PM]

B

buddy2bear

Perhaps your company has finally decided to institute an ethics policy, which is a very good idea, and perhaps you are the first, but not the last. If, however, you end up being fired over this, you must be able to prove that you were "singled" out from everyone else. If this is so, you would have to file a charge with the EEOC for disparate treatment, go through the administrative process and then proceed from there.

In any event, this policy should have been in or added to your employee handbook. If not, call your HR department and ask them for a copy of the policy so that you can make sure in the future that you don't violate it again.

One should never accept "gifts" from customers/vendors, because they often come with "strings." If you were a woman, over 35, you would have understood this a lot better! LOL!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">