• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspention & possible termination.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alan703nva

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia.

Recently I have been dealing with child support issues from another state and have been doing so on my own accord.
I was never asked to disclose any information to my employer about such information. I had also been truthful about any information regarding my history and background when asked during the hiring process.
Some paper work (or a phone call) came in asking about my employment. It was asking that my employer width hold a part of my income.

My boss tells me because of this he has to suspend me, investigate me, and maybe even terminate me because of this.

Is this possible?
Wouldn't any other employer just width hold a part of my income and just let me know what is going on?

I didn't lie about anything or break any rules.
It doesn't make any sense to suspend someone and force them to loose wages because they may need to pay support.

Can't I take legal action if they do happen to terminate me?
because all of a sudden they had to pay child support.

Hot Topic

If your check is to be garnished, there needs to be legal backup. You need to tell us exactly what kind of paperwork came in. No employer should honor a telephone request without backup.

If youre paying child support, it's not a big mistery. You know when you're behind on payments and when you're not.

pattytx

And, under the CCPA, the employer cannot terminate or otherwise take adverse action against an employee for a single garnishment.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs30.pdf

Honestly, if your boss says he "has to" suspend, investigate or otherwise discipline you for a mere query (let alone the actual child support order) according to company policy, I'd be heading up the line fast. The great majority of child support obligations these days are garnishment orders; all the custodial parent needs to say to the judge is "I don't trust Bob to make these payments on his own" and bingo, a child support order.

Is there a HR person/department?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">