• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspicious

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mosemeister

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
A total of 5 employees got laid off on 4/12/2004, where I was employed. Another employee , and my self were due to receive medical benefits on 4/28/2004. The other three employees were not. On 4/14 ,two of those employees got called back to work. I was not called back, nor was the other employee that was due to receive medical benefits. This seems suspicious to us. Why would the employer lay us all off, and then call two employees back on that following wednesday, that were not due benefits ? Why did he lay them off at all? I think he didn't want to pay for our health insurance. Do we have any recourse in this matter. I know it would be hard to prove. :mad:

Beth3

"Why would the employer lay us all off, and then call two employees back on that following wednesday, that were not due benefits ?" Because they had more seniority? Because they had skills you and the other employee did not? Because he thought they were better workers?

Nothing in your post indicates the owner has acted unlawfully.

mosemeister

suspicious

Hello Beth;
Thank you for the reply. However, the other workers were hired after us, had different job duties, were good workers in their own right,as were we. I still feel that the other employee, and myself,got laid off because we were due to receive health insurance.

Beth3

Then you're free to file a complaint with the federal Department of Labor. I wouldn't get your hopes up of prevailing though. Unless the employer has a on-going pattern of hiring individuals and laying them off/terminating them just before they qualify for benefits, I don't think you have a claim.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they only laid you off to prevent you from getting health insurance, why did they lay the other employees off at all?

mosemeister

mosemeister said:
Since my original post 5/10/2004, the company where I was laid off is now advertising in the news paper for new employees. If they were a good company why didn't they call us back to work? I still stand firm with my belief that they wanted to get rid of us, due to the fact that the other employee and myself were eligible for insurance . The company owners are also getting rid of their supervisor that was employed with them for three years. They hired a man that is rude, and yells right in your face. Two employees already quit and one was fired. It seems the owners like this type of person. I know it's their company and they can do what they wish. However, I think it's unfair to all of us that got laid off, or quit because of intimidation. If I could prove that that the other employee and I got laid off intentionally, I would certainly file a claim. The owners have no regards for their employees. They just use them, and when they are through , toss them to the curb. :mad:
Truth and Justice will Prevail

Beth3

If you believe they terminated you and your co-worker for the purpose of offering participation in company benefit plans, you are free to file a complaint with the federal Department of Labor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">