• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking another job after signing contract with one

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nesb12004

Indiana
I recently got a job offer from an out of state firm. I had signed terms of agreement with that firm 4 days ago (on 08/10/2004) with a start date on 08/23/3004.
The agreement is like this:
-------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that I am an employee at will with XXXXX. This means that my employment with XXXXX is to continue only at the mutual will of both myself and the Company. Either I or XXXXX may terminate my employment relationship at anytime, for any reason, with or without cause. I understand that if I choose to leave my employment with XXXXX, I am required to give at least two weeks notice so that XXXXX will be able to find a replacement for me.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I had signed this agreement and faxed to the firm on 08/10/2004. But yesterday (08/13) I got another good offer from a local company. I want to take up this job offer as this is local. So immediately I called the XXXXX firm and told them that I will not be able to start on 08/23/2004 and declined their offer (as I got another good offer). The person at XXXXX told me that I will receive a legal notice from their lawyer if I am not starting on 08/23/2004.

Please advice me if this can happen?

Thanks.

JETX

"Please advice me if this can happen?"
*** Of course, they can have an attorney send you a 'legal notice', but it is highly unlikely that anyone would spend money having an attorney do so. Simply, you have NO obligation to work for them. If you get a letter from their 'attorney', post back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">