• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking the Blame

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aquarianjet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana My company has a policy that in any adverse situation, it always holds the employee accountable even if the employee has done nothing wrong. As an analogy, the company hired a fuel vendor to fuel the truck fleet and to ensure that the fuel carbon level in the fuel is within its policy. On a random audit, the carbon level was found to be outside the limits as stated by the company policy. The vendor maintained to me (project manager) that the carbon level was within the policy limit all along. As a result of this situation, the vendor paid the company a fee for this mistake. However, my company's policy is that the project manager automatically gets dinged with a violation even if (as in my case) the project manager had no way to know that the vendor was not in compliance (which they represented they were). This and another similar situation has greatly impacted my pay, performance rating and may ultimately lead to being let go. Do I have any recourse against my employer if I do get let go? What about against the vendor for the harm to career?

pattytx

Legal recourse? None. Even if it is unfair and even if it is unfounded. The "rules of evidence" that are applicable in a court of law are not applicable in the work arena. You'd probably get UI benefits, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">