• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taking picture during job interview?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bknip1

What is the name of your state?Illinois

Is it legal for the employer to take a picture of the job applicant during the interview for a job?

C

CheeseBlotto

Completely, although some uses of said picture might be illegal under some circumstances, so unless there's a compelling need for the photo, it's a dumb idea on their part.

What's the job? Did you ask why they wanted a picture?

cknippe

I'm in Illinois.
I called today in regard to a receptionist position at an orthodontist office.
The receptionist asked me to come this afternoon. Upon arrival I gave her my resume & I filled out an application. While finishing the app, she walked out of the room. When she returned she asked if I could come back Thurs. or Fri.I said Fri. but then I thought why do I have to come back here? I thought I was seeing Dr. now. I got up to hand her the app & she got up from her desk with a camera in front of her face,asking if I minded having my picture taken.I hesitated,completely taken off guard by this,I don't even remember if I answered her.I just stared at her.She snapped a picture.I was very angry & asked why this was necessary.Her response was Dr. wants a face to read the resume by so he can prepare for the interview.I feel this was very unprofessional & feel somewhat threatened. If I had been offered & accepted the job then I could understand the reason for it.I would like the picture back or destroyed. How should I handle this?

JETX

cknippe said:
How should I handle this?
You start by NOT hijacking someone elses thread. It is both rude (in diverting attention from them to you) and confusing (when you think a response is to you when it isn't).
Start your own thread with your post.

USNAVYO3

It's pretty clear to me that CKNIP and BKNIPPE or whatever are the same person.

Clunky, perhaps, to switch monikers, but certainly not rude. I think your post is a lot ruder. Switch to decaf.

That aside, if I were the employer's attorney, I would quickly advise them NOT to take these photos, whether they technically be legal or not.

You are opening yourself up to a raft of unpleasant possibilities by at least giving the appearance that a hiring member is "checking out" the appearance of potential employees. Accusations of race, age, gender discrimination are going to follow, and a sexual harassment claim is furthered by this practice ("Judge, my [blonde, voluptuous] client was REQUIRED to pose for a picture before being hired for this job. I think the later sexual advances were clearly presaged by this outrage. Why did her looks matter so much?").

Not legal advice, just my gut.

AAL

JETX said:
You start by NOT hijacking someone elses thread. It is both rude (in diverting attention from them to you) and confusing (when you think a response is to you when it isn't).
Start your own thread with your post.

JETX

AttorneyAtLawn said:
It's pretty clear to me that CKNIP and BKNIPPE or whatever are the same person.
Though you are likely correct (as I had already done), the simple fact is... the two posts are under two SEPARATE user names. Your assumption that they are the same person may, or may not, be true.

And while on the subject, if you are NOT a licensed attorney, you need to change your username. If not, it will be changed for you. :D

Gadfly

Some of the most professional resumes I have seen have the applicant's photo on them or attached to them. When interviewing a large number of potential employees for a large number of openings, they do come in handy when you are trying to remember which candidate was the one that really impressed you.

Taking pictures can also be used to document that you are NOT discriminting.

Last edited:

HappyHusband

Gadfly said:
Taking pictures can also be used to document that you are NOT discriminting.
I agree. When you need to make the corporate minority quota to avoid discriminating against them, the photo helps you to remember which candidates are minorities.

justalayman

A curious side here>

since this is an orthodontist, and if I were an orthodontist, I would want all my employees to have "pretty" teeth. When I go to a barber I don't want some shaggy guy cutting my hair. Just the same with any pro that has an aesthetic side to their job.

or maybe he is looking for future patients :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">