• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

taking time off for sick children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coach_aaron

What is the name of your state? Texas

Does an employer in the state of Texas have the right to require a doctors visit and a copy of the doctors report for taking time off to tend to a sick child? The situation is I took a day off (without pay) to be home with my child who had a simple head cold. (The school does not allow children to stay for even the slightest of temps) The doctor said a visit was not necessary. The absence is considered "unexcused" because I did not take my child to the doctor, and will lead to disciplinary action. All responses will be greatly appreciated!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's put it this way.

Nothing in the law prohibits an employer from (a) requiring medical verification that your child was actually ill (b) disciplining an employee for taking time off work without notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">