• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tardiness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wise1777

wisconsin:
i was recently denied unemployment for tardiness but have been on the job over three years, i have also been coming to work at the same time for all of this period. recently (two weeks) my supervisor moved to another position within the company, my new supervisor was my old supervisors boss ive worked with this person just as long as my old supervisor but now my tardiness (5-10 minutes late) has gotten me fired. i was given one warning in 2001 by my old supervisor for being really late (1 hour and a half) one warning a couple days before i was fired, (7 minute late) do i have a case for an appeal? the company called it misconduct. my job was a warehouse clerk any question contack me please help

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can always appeal. How good a chance you would have at prevailing will depend upon how hard your employer wants to fight it.

Next time, set your alarm and get up earlier.

Beth3

UC decisions in Wisconsin regarding attendance historically have been all over the map (no consistency) but from what I've seen the last several years, the adjudicators are now interpreting chronic absenteeism, including tardiness, as willful misconduct, which is the basis on which the claim will be denied. You have nothing to lose by appealing the decision and requesting a hearing but since you received a disciplinary action shortly before you were terminated and I presume were fired when you were again late, I think the odds of you receiving benefits are slim to none.

I agree with cbg. On your next job, get yourself into work on time.

Agree with the others. You have nothing to lose by appealing but I doubt it will change anything.

People often talk about 5 or 10 minutes and that it's not a big deal, but late is late. Even for longtime employees, employers get tired of of it and they also hear complaints from others who manage to get to work on time.

Saying that others were also late and nothing was done does not change the fact that you were tardy. In some cases employers successfully use tardiness to get rid of someone that want to get rid of but the only solution is to be on time. Get up earlier, leave earlier, catch an earlier bus, do whatever it takes but understand that in order to keep from being let go for tardiness you have to be on time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">