• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

teacher - exempt employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teach

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Is a private school teacher with a degree an exempt employee in CA?

Does that mean the school could requier the teacher to stay back at sschool past school hours and to return in the evening or weekends without extra pay?

What options does the teacher have to say no to such requests/demands?

eerelations

I'm almost a 100% certain that a teacher is exempt from OT pay requirements. And yes, as exempt employees, they may be required to work all sorts of hours, including after school and on weekends, for no extra pay. Teachers may legally refuse to work extra hours, and their employers may legally fire them for refusing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And of course, no exempt employee in the private sector ever has to work past three thirty or in the evenings or on weekends. :rolleyes:

pattytx

Begin a 'glass is half-full' kind of person, I'll guess that the OP is simply trying to figure out what s/he is getting into.
Which is why I got out before I got in, my degree in music education not withstanding.:p That's what student teaching and mentoring is for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">