• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teaching: Job offer rescinded after reference called

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

urbanteacher

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband was a first year teacher and was not reappointed to his position because of "downsizing" of the grade level he taught. He really didn't want to work at the school anyhow because it's a hellhole, so he started looking for another position.
Recently, he was hired by another school district and signed a temporary contract saying he would not look for further employment with another school. After this he was called and told "to complete the hiring process" they needed to call phone references and so he gave them two people's names, one a team leader, the other the principal.
The school called the first reference--nothing but praise and good words. They called back and said everything was good. But they couldn't get ahold of the principal and so they called asking for another person to speak with at the hellhole school. The new school ended up talking to an asst. principal who is known throughout the school for causing trouble for people the asst. principal plain didn't like. After speaking with the asst. principal the new school called and rescinded the job offer.
During the time he was under the temp contract to not look any further he had another job offer, a second interview, and two other job interview opportunities he had to refuse (and he thought he had a job already).
Is there anything that can be done about the situation? This asst. principal says she only gave out his final evaluation (which is another story altogether on the truth factor) but it wasn't necessarily a bad eval. We believe she said something about him that borders on defamation, but I know it can't be proven.
Is there anything we can do about this situation? He is afraid that even if he gets another job, this asst. principal will do something to stop it. Any advice? Constructive comments?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends upon EXACTLY what the assistant principal said. Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to give a negative reference. It is only illegal to give an untrue reference. But determining what is considered an untrue reference can get tricky.

If, for example, the asst. principle said that your husband was released from his contract for abusing the students, that's obviously untrue and would give you legal recourse. However, if he said, "I was unhappy with the way he handled such and such situation and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't hire him", that's his personal opinion which is protected by law and you would not have any legal recourse.

The asst. principal's powers to "stop" a new job are limited. If anyone calls him for a reference, he is free to give whatever personal opinion he may hold. But if your husband were to get a new job and the asst. principal were to call them, unasked, and try to interfere, it's quite possible you would be able to take legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">