• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

telecommute being 'taken away'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

telecommuter

What is the name of your state? CA

I joined a large company 3 years ago. When I joined I lived about 8 miles away and telecommuted about 1 day a week.

When I decided to buy a place I looked in the general vacinity of my job (I hate commuting). I put several offers in on places, but didn't get any of the places. So, I talked with my boss about telecommuting 4 days a week if I moved further away. This is something that several staff members do on a regular basis.

He said that was fine. So I ended up buying a condo 35 miles away. (This is about an hour communte during rush hour). I have been telecommuting 4 days a week for over a year. Now, the company wants to set a policy on telecommuting. They are setting it based on job title and mileage.

Can they take this away from me? I based my decision to BUY a house based on the fact that they said I could work from home. I would never have moved this far away had I known I'd have to commute 1 hour to work each day, each way.

There is also the fact the there are 'exceptions' being written for other members of the team, but not me. This is based on my title. However, I was supposed to get a promotion 2 years ago to the same title as these other people (who live closer to the job than I do), but haven't gotten the promotion due to the economy being sluggish.

Do I have any legal recourse?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

R

Ramoth

Your employer has the right to change the terms of your employmeny (ie - stop allowing telecommuting), and you have the right to end your employment as a result. ANd unless the only reason you aren't being made an exception is due to a protected characteristic (age, race, gender, etc.), there is nothing at all you can do about it other than quit. Or realize that many people would love to have a commute like that.

E

Elvis_is_back

You do have some rights -

You have the right to quit

You have the right to find a new job closer to your home

You have the right to start your own business provided you don't violate any of the terms of your employment contract

You have the right to sell your home and buy one closer to the company.

You have no course of action against the company - Believe it or not, they could permit EVERYONE else to telecommute and not you and you'd have the same rights as listed above provided they weren't discriminating against you for the reasons listed in the above post.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">