• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telephone Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelJ40

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Can an employer fire/terminate an employee over the telephone?

Also is it right for a General Manager (GM) to place an employee on hold and force another manager to get on the phone and fire/terminate that employee?

BelizeBreeze

Of course you can't be fired in this manner. In fact, if the phone call was made on a monday, wednesday or friday and originated in the Greater Boston Area, then the phone company AND the company are in for hefty fines as long as the call was initiated by an employee with a title of Manager or above.

Get real. You can be fired by telephone, telegram, telegraph or tele-woman. By letter, postcard or even posting an e-mail. You can be fired on Monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday and sunday and you can be fired by you boss, your bosses boss or even by hook, by crook and by candlestick maker.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. Don't forget carrier pigeon.

2. You can be fired by anyone who has been given authorization to fire you. You can be fired by the janitor if the employer gives him permission.

I have never understood why so many people think telephone terminations would be illegal.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
1. Don't forget carrier pigeon.

2. You can be fired by anyone who has been given authorization to fire you. You can be fired by the janitor if the employer gives him permission.

I have never understood why so many people think telephone terminations would be illegal.
While I admit I never thought about the carrier pigeon, I DID think about the janitor.

I think our little CB has already opened the wine :D

ENASNI

well

Our OP is about to open up the Whine... betcha..

Still a betting gal, cbg... oh, but I wouldn't want to take advantage, if you have the Chardonnay uncorked already. :D

MelJ40

Illegal

I've heard that human resource regulations prohibit firing an employee over the phone. That is why I was questioning the actions of the company. I think its just rude and not a very feasible business practice. Besides the manager who was forced to do the GM's dirty work wanted to at least have me come in and talk to me and explain the situation but the GM told him to "do it and do it now."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, as a 25 year HR professional I can tell you that there are no HR regulations that prohibit firings over the phone. It may or may not be best practice, depending on the circumstances, but it is in no way illegal or prohibited.

It's the GM's call who gets fired and when.

MelJ40

Thanks....i think

Well i appreciate the information.....just wish would could have skipped all the bs and got straight to the point in the first place, but then hey what the heck is law all about anyway but a bunch of bs. Enjoy the wine.

ENASNI

Hey... nice taste!

cbg said:
Actually it's Pino Grigio, but what the hey. Want a glass? ;)

Sure bring it on... Just delivered precious cargo in california Friday traffic... and preparing grilled artichokes... need an accompaniment.
Am I too late..

cbg...

Get your head off the keyboard and answer me :p

Hello?

Love ya kiddo...
You've been working 8 days a week

where is that annoying DJ dude..

Rushia if you are watching this post... Don't pay attention... Mama don't drink... :rolleyes: Ya right...

eerelations

phone firing regs in canada

In Canada, you're allowed to fire someone over the phone any day of the week but ONLY if you're wearing plaid pants while you do it. The guvmint has been trying to hash out regs on what kind of shirt you should wear with the plaid pants but were recently sidetracked dealing with all those insane cows trampling through Parliament. I'll let y'all know if they ever come up with some shirt guidelines.

ENASNI

Um

eerelations said:
In Canada, you're allowed to fire someone over the phone any day of the week but ONLY if you're wearing plaid pants while you do it. The guvmint has been trying to hash out regs on what kind of shirt you should wear with the plaid pants but were recently sidetracked dealing with all those insane cows trampling through Parliament. I'll let y'all know if they ever come up with some shirt guidelines.
Who said the cows were insane?

rmet4nzkx

eerelations said:
Actually there are regulations already written that would apply since the pants plaid. According the the book, "So, You're Going to Wear the Kilt" (Most but not all kilts are plaid/tartan, one never wears the same tartan in a shirt as worn on the kilt/trews/(Pants), therefore, the shirt worn with the plaid pants could be anything but plaid, or no shirt at all. While the receiver would in most cases, not be able to tell if the caller were weraring the regulation shirt, in this day and age of picture phones, expect some new case law to evolve. This forum is for US laws only so this is merely collatteral discussion, in the US the only dress requlation might be the color of socks of the GM, White socks with Wingtips or Brogans are no, nos, but allowable with cowboy boots. ;)

ENASNI

well

According to my book...which I have not written yet.. Insane cows can only wear plaid pants while on the links.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">