• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temp agencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmccorm25425

What is the name of your state? WV and MD

I had registered with a temp firm that told me a client they represented was looking for my skill set and would I like to have my resume submitted. Of course, so they did (The agency is located in MD, the alleged client is based in MD but the hiring branch is in WV. I live in WV).

Upon scheduling the third interview, the temp agency sends contract forms for a temp to hire situation to their "client". This client had no intention of retaining the agency and was prepared to make an offer. However, they have decided that they are not going to pay these fees. And not hire me - through the agency.

I have called the agency and told them I no longer want to use their services. I asked them to forward a copy of my contract to my home. They said I had no contract, but was an at will employee. They are forwarding that agreement to my home. As an at will employee, I have resigned.

I have re-applied through the "client's" web site. They are now trying to decided if they can get into legal battles with the temp firm if they hire me now.

Is there an answer to this situation? HELP!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, but you aren't going to like it.

It is almost a guarantee that the agency and the client had an agreement that the client could not hire someone they found through the agency, without paying the agency fees, for a period of time (generally 6 months to a year). That means that the client has two choices; pay the agency fees, or hire someone else.

Beth3

Sorry but there's not a darned thing you can do. You registered with an employment agency who in turn referred you to an employer. The employer must have known that the referral came from the agency. That means if they hire you, they have to pay a fee one way or another by either agreeing to a billing rate for "X" amount of months on a temp to perm basis or a straight-out contingency fee. If the client has decided they do not wish to pay either, then that's that. Even if you sever your relationship with the agency, the employer will still be obligated to pay a contingency fee if they hire you within "X" amount of time (usually 12 months) following the referral.

If the employer decides to hire you and refuses to pay the fee, then they can anticipate being sued. If the employer was not prepared to pay a fee, then they should not have accepted referrals through an employment agency. That was stupid on their part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">