• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary jobs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ldawson78

What is the name of your state?I work in Kansas. I took a temporary job to get back on my feet. I understood that the job would end in April and I would be laid off. Many of the temporary staff were laid off and I have been held over 'indefinately.'
I am seeking another job and have some classes and other practicum to complete before this new job begins. My practicum will be on a volunteer basis. I am waiting to be laid off, but they keep extending my employment. If I quit, I will likely not be able to get unemployment to get by during my classes and volunteer work. Is there a way to get them to pay me unemployment if I can no longer work here and they are not ready to lay me off?

Beth3

If I quit, I will likely not be able to get unemployment to get by during my classes and volunteer work. There's no "likely" about it. If you quit, you won't be eligible for UC benefits.

Is there a way to get them to pay me unemployment if I can no longer work here and they are not ready to lay me off? (a) Employers don't pay unemployment benefits, the State does. (b) as long as your employer has work available for you, you will not be eligible for UC benefits unless your employer is willing to tell the State that you were laid off rather than that quit, which I doubt they'd be willing to do as the more claimants collect from their account, the higher the UC tax they pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">