• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary Position Has Ended but Still on Payroll

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

minder

What is the name of your state?

I was working for a major corporation in New Jersey for the past 5 months. I was getting paid for 40 hours a week on a weekly basis through direct-deposit. I haven't worked there for several weeks but, someone made a mistake in Human Resources and I'm still getting paid on a weekly basis with the direct-deposit.

Do I have a legal responsibility to inform this company that they're still paying me even though I don't work there anymore?

If so, do I have to give them back the money they've given me erroneously?

Is their any legal way for me to keep this money?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--Minder.

JETX

"Do I have a legal responsibility to inform this company that they're still paying me even though I don't work there anymore?"
*** No, you do not have to notify them of their error, but it will certainly help YOU if you did. See below.

"If so, do I have to give them back the money they've given me erroneously?"
*** Yep. You have to return their money to them. And if you don't, or can't, expect a lawsuit.

"Is their any legal way for me to keep this money?"
*** No. Actually, yes there is. Ask them if you can work for free for the number of hours that they overpay you.

D

DogToenails

Don't give in to temptation to try to keep the money. They will figure out what happened eventually and demand repayment. Consider it a loan, not a gift.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It never ceases to amaze me, how many people feel that they should be able to keep money they are not entitled to and did not earn, simply because it was someone else's mistake.

No, you have no legal right to keep the money and they can legally sue you for it. If they do, they will win. You can make it much easier on yourself by contacting them NOW and letting them know about the error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">