• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporary suspension?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbruso

Ok. To start this would be in Virginia. On June 12th 2009 I had a hostile person in my house. I drew a gun to make him leave. A few minutes later I was charged with brandishing a firearm. Now I work security police at NASA. Actually I work for a company that is contracted by NASA. I carry a firearm at work and am certified as an armed security officer by the Department of Criminal Justice Services. On the 13th of June 2009 I was told that I would not be allowed to work until the court date which was July 20th 2009. On that day the judge found me guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor for brandishing a firearm. I called work and told them this and it is now August 7th 2009 and I have not been told if I get to come back to work yet. They say I am on a temporary suspension. My company is covered under a union. My question is, can they do this. What happened to innocent until proven guilty. Were they allowed to tell me that I could not work until the court date? I have been out of work since the day I was charged with this and almost twenty days after I was convicted I have still not heard if I get to come back yet. I know I made a bad decision but I need to know something from work and I am not hearing anything except they are still looking into the case. I am behind on all my bills due to this and i am starting to get really pissed. I want to know if I have any legal options. Thank you in advance.

pattytx

Innocent until proven guilty applies only in a court of law. In does not apply in the employment arena. Your only possible protection is your union contract; the law is not going to force the employer to return you to work.

eerelations

Your company can legally suspend you for as long as it wants and for any reason it wants as long as that reason isn't based on things like your race, religion, gender, age (over 40) or disability. The only limitation to this would be in your CBA. What does the CBA say about suspensions? And what did your union rep say when you asked about this?

jbruso

Ok thank you. That is what I was wondering. As for the union after 13 days I still have not heard an answer from the union either. They just tell me they are looking into it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">