• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tendering notice to terminate employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drive74

state-Illinois; if an employee tenders his or her two week notice and is asked to leave the company immediately without working out this time frame, are they entitled to any form of compensation for that lost time? It seems as if the company would be denying the employee the right to work and subsequently, to earn wages.
If the employee is still under the company mandated "probationary period" does that disqualify them from receiving these wages if they are in fact entitled to them?

Last edited:

L

loku

Illinois is an at will state. That means the company can fire employees at will. Giving notice to quit does not change this; therefore, the firing was legal. When they did fire you, you were entitled to all the wages you had earned up to that time, but no more, so you were not entitled to wages after that.

D

drive74

Would a person in this situation become eligible for unemployment compensation in the state of Illinois?

If it is any consolation I do think this is a unethical and poor business practice. And one that will come back to haunt the employeer. I once had an employeer who I saw do similar things, letting long term employees go with little or no notice. I decided it was not a place I wanted to work, so I found another job and gave them similarly short notice. When my boss complained about my "leaving them hanging" I pointed out that it appeared to be company policy.

Doesn't sound like a place you would want to work anyway.

I am not a lawyer, not even close.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">