• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termenation while on Doctors leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Barrt

What is the name of your state? TN

A few weeks ago while I was at work I blacked out. After running many tests the doctors placed me on leave until they figure out what is causing them. After reporting this to my HR dept. they said if I needed to be out more then 2 weeks I will be fired. Its coming up on 2 weeks now and wanting to know where I stand. They mailed me a form to fill out that request my Doctor to say I can not perform my duties at work. Should I fill it out? They said if i would fill it out for them they wouldn't fire me, but that just seems odd.
At this time I am not covered under FMLA due to not working for them 12 months. I am missing the deadline by about a month or so. While speaking to the HR department they said I could file for short term disabilty if I wasn't terminated before filing.
I tried to do a search for TN laws, but couldn't find anything about it. This is not a pre existing condition. It just started about a month ago.
Any input that you can offer me would be great.

Thanks again,
Barrt

Beth3

They mailed me a form to fill out that request my Doctor to say I can not perform my duties at work. Should I fill it out? Yes! They're requesting medical certification that you unable to work at present.

They said if i would fill it out for them they wouldn't fire me, but that just seems odd. It's not at all odd for your employer to request documentation from an employee's doctor when they're on or requesting medical leave.

At this time I am not covered under FMLA due to not working for them 12 months Then they don't have to extend medical leave to you at all. The fact that they are is a benefit.

While speaking to the HR department they said I could file for short term disabilty if I wasn't terminated before filing. Then file for disability benefits. Wouldn't you like to receive some money while you're unable to work???

I can't imagine what you're suspicious of. Have your doctor fill out the leave paperwork and the disability forms immediately. There is no downside here at all. The upside is that your employer will extend additional medical leave to you, you'll receive disability income benefits, and you'll get to keep your job.

Barrt

Thanks Beth for responding. Guess it just hit me as odd due to being told for weeks they was going to fire me then out of the blue asking me to sigh this paper to keep my job. I asked them for the paperwork to file for Short term about 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the papers. So far only thing they gave me is the paper for Doc to sign.
Thanks again
Barrt

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">