• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miguel7986

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I was terminated from my previous employer for alleged misconduct. I'm currently seeking a new job, but every time that I fill the work application I don't know what to write in the reason why I left that job. Because I don't know what kind of information the former employer is allowed to give the potential employer. How can I find out what the former employer is saying? in order to find out wether it is true.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

The former employer is allowed to make any statement that is truthful. I suggest you tell the truth on any employment application.

eerelations

And if your former employer won't tell you why you were terminated, and you honestly don't know why, write "let go, don't know why."

miguel7986

How can I find out if the employer is telling the truth about why he terminated me to employers checking about me?

pattytx

Well, you could have a trusted friend call and pretend they're a prospective employer. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. A lot of companies respond to reference requests in writing ONLY and ONLY with your written authorization (although neither is required by law).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What makes you think the employer is not telling the truth about why you were terminated? Be as specific as possible - there's a reason I'm asking.

miguel7986

No jobs calling back

One of the reasons that I'm worried about the previous employer saying what is not true is that I have been to several interviews that look very good, and I have not gotten a return call. The jobs that I have been applying for are exactly what I do. Like I mentioned in the initial question that I had been terminated for alleged misconduct. It's alleged their is no evidence to support what he said happened. I'm receiving my UI.

HomeGuru

One of the reasons that I'm worried about the previous employer saying what is not true is that I have been to several interviews that look very good, and I have not gotten a return call. The jobs that I have been applying for are exactly what I do. Like I mentioned in the initial question that I had been terminated for alleged misconduct. It's alleged their is no evidence to support what he said happened. I'm receiving my UI.
**A: is that as specific as you can be as to the reason for your termination?

KJHOOK13

What are U telling prospective employers?

On the job applications or during the interviews with these prospective employers, what are you giving as the reason you left your last job? Is it possible that you are giving a false reason, and then when they follow up, the former employee is being honest stating that you were "terminated due to alleged misconduct?" Lying on your application could be the reason you have had no offers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You still have not explained why you think your employer is LYING about what happened. He is allowed to give a negative opinion of your work if that is what he truly believes.

BE SPECIFIC. EXACTLY what do you think he is saying that is UNTRUE, as opposed to an opinion you do not agree with?

miguel7986

You are assuming! What I'm saying and doing is what I'm about, and that is honesty! I know that these employers will be calling that is the main reason that I'm up front with them. I thought that this site was about free legal advise not anybody giving there own personal opinions!

HomeGuru

You are assuming! What I'm saying and doing is what I'm about, and that is honesty! I know that these employers will be calling that is the main reason that I'm up front with them. I thought that this site was about free legal advise not anybody giving there own personal opinions!
**A: oh brother, can't you understand English? Why have you not answered the question posed by cbg?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is giving a personal opinion. I am TRYING to extract some information to you so that I can give you your legal options.

But if you don't care, I don't care either.

Have a good life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">