• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused:I am just a little confused. I worked for the Boys and Girls of Moorpark, CA and they told me that they had to let me go as the insurance company that insures the van said I was uninsurable. I had 2 accidents in the last year but one of them was not my fault and the other one had less than 750 dollars in damage so what gives. I am going to get a copy of my H-6 to see what it says and if the one accident that was not my fault shows up as being my fault than what can I do?What is the name of your state CaliforniaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

eerelations

Regarding your termination, it doesn't matter what the H-6 says because it was perfectly legal for your company to fire you based on what the insurance company said, even if the insurance company was joking. Unfortunate but true.

pattytx

Or they could could have said "your services are no longer required and here is your final check".

pattytx

Because they should have paid you as they walked you out the door. However, you are also required to try to mitigate your losses by pursuing this with the employer.

Once you do get your check, however, you can file a claim with the DLSE for waiting time penalties. Are you going to go pick it up or did you request that they mail it?

Dlse

I just found out about that. I called UEI to file for unemployment and when they told me that my boss had 24 hour to pay me than I can file a claim from DLSE and get more money from my employer.

E

Eureka!

Because they should have paid you as they walked you out the door. However, you are also required to try to mitigate your losses by pursuing this with the employer.

Once you do get your check, however, you can file a claim with the DLSE for waiting time penalties. Are you going to go pick it up or did you request that they mail it?
What do you mean the employee is required to try to mitigate their losses? Also you could file the wage claim before you receive the check if you want to. The sooner the better; expect to wait a few months before your conference at the DLSE.

pattytx

By "mitigating the losses", I mean that the worker can't refuse to go get the check if it's ready or delay requesting mailing of the check once they are notified that it is ready, just so waiting time penalties might be applicable or increased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">