• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated before due process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hintini

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

I was a 14 year veteran firefighter.In february of this year I got into some trouble with the law. I have not been convicted of a crime as of yet,but the city fire department for which I was working has terminated me. I was informed of an unwritten law that firefighters hold a higher standard than other city employees therefore the trouble I am in violates the public trust.
I was off duty when the incident occurred and it has never affected my job nor my performance in my duties as a FF/Paramedic.Is there any legal way to get my career back?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a contract that specifies the reasons you can be termed and this violates it, no.

Your employer is entitled to terminate your employment for any reason that does not violate the law. Whether you have or have not been convicted of a crime is immaterial. Your termination was legal - no law is going to force your employer to rehire you.

hintini

Just cause employee

cbg said:
Unless you have a contract that specifies the reasons you can be termed and this violates it, no.

Your employer is entitled to terminate your employment for any reason that does not violate the law. Whether you have or have not been convicted of a crime is immaterial. Your termination was legal - no law is going to force your employer to rehire you.

I am(was) a" just cause" employee.Does this help in any way?

Beth3

So the question then is whether the trouble with the law you mention is "just cause" to terminate you under your employer's policies. That's not something anyone here can answer. Absent an employment contract which spells out exactly what that means, then that's up to your employer to determine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">