• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated, but not guilty....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeandfs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida
8 months ago I was terminated. I was joking around with the guy in receiving and took a printer and put it across the hall on the floor. Unbeknownst to me, he came back from lunch while I was at lunch and thought the printer had been "stolen". He proceded to make a HUGE deal of it, and contacted the owner, and director of operations. In the mean time, I freaked out having come back from lunch to find half the company in an uproar over the missing printer, in the meantime, they found the printer-(only about 50 ft. from where it started out at), and in MY panic, someone asked if I had taken it, and I said, "no", without thinking-as I was freaking out at this point. Everything was blown way out of proportion very fast. They took a look at the video tape, and lo and behold there I am picking up the printer and carrying it off to a room out of view of the tape! Now, I know the camera is there, I didn't take the printer but 50 ft. and set it down in plain view, but the bottom line is, I took it. I have worked for the company for 11 years, with excellent reviews, but I was terminated. I was never told exactly "the reason" for termination. I was and still am in shock, I just left, and haven't spoken to anyone in months. I filed for unemployment, but was denied, mainly because I couldn't go through with the phone conversation between my employer and the unemployment agency. I am too embarassed! I have never done anything wrong in my life, and this is so embarassing. I still can't believe they terminated me! The director and everyone were great friends, and I can't even think of talking to any of them. My question, now I am looking for a job, and am at a quandry over what to put on my application regarding why I left my last job. It's been 8 months, and I want to go back to work, but I don't know what to do. I think if they really thought I was going to "steal" the $38 printer, they would have had me arrested. I just don't know what to do with regards to getting another job. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I tell future employers the whole story, and hope they too don't think I was "going" to steal the printer, or do I just say I quit, and leave it at that? Do I dare put down my supervisor for a reference? Can he legally say that I was fired for "stealing"? After all, I never took anything off the premises nor did they have any reason to even think that I would! All they do have is a video tape of me picking up the printer and walking into the other room with it. Help me.....

Beth3

I still can't believe they terminated me! I'd guess they wouldn't have if you'd fessed up about the gag when asked, instead of telling them you hadn't taken it.

Do I tell future employers the whole story, and hope they too don't think I was "going" to steal the printer Yes.

or do I just say I quit, and leave it at that? (a) That's not true and (b) when you tell prospective employers one story and your former employer tells them another when contacted for a reference, you're going to be immediately out of the running for the job.

Do I dare put down my supervisor for a reference? It doesn't matter whether you do or not as you can count on any prospective employer contacting your last several employers for references.

Can he legally say that I was fired for "stealing"? Yes, if that is what they believe you intended to do. The problem is that you lied when asked if you took the printer therefore it's not unreasonable for the employer to assume you intended to remove it from the building later on.

What you need to do when you interview is briefly explain the circumstances (a gag gone awry) and hope for the best. Good luck.

jeandfs

a legal question?

I guess the "legal" question would be, can they legally tell my future employers that I was terminated for theft, or suspicion of theft? I was an excellent employee with excellent reviews for 11 years... I practically ran the place. I am wondering if they legally have to tell them about my work ability, and my job qualifications, or can they just tell them why I was terminated? This is the only company I have worked for in the last 11 years...so there are no other "past employers" for any future employer to speak to.

JETX

jeandfs said:
I guess the "legal" question would be, can they legally tell my future employers that I was terminated for theft, or suspicion of theft?
Yep.

I am wondering if they legally have to tell them about my work ability, and my job qualifications, or can they just tell them why I was terminated?
There is no legal obligation to tell them anything at all. At the least, most employers will confirm your employment and dates. Often they will answer whether you are subject to rehire... and if not, explain why.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">