• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated due to drug problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SteveWRX

Live in Rhode Island - Place of employment - Massachusetts

I am not in a union, and my employment was at-will.

I developed a substance abuse problem, and it effected my attendance at work. I started missing a few days per month.

At one point, one of my absenses put my manager in a position where he had to have me go out on leave, and he hired a temp to fill my shoes while I tried to get better.

A few of the drug treatment programs involved religion and AA, and I am not a religious person.

My employer was not happy with my progress, and I was then terminated for too many absenses due to my substance abuse problem. Before being terminated, I told my employer that I was ready to come back to work.

I was terminated officially on October 4th, and recieved the notice on October 26th.

Do I have any type of recourse?

Will I be able to collect unemployment benefits?

Thanks for any insight.

gawm

do i have any type of recourse
no

will i be able to collect unemployment benefits
apply, but they will be denied

let this be a valuable lesson. people usually don't stop doing drugs until something drastic happens(getting arrested or fired). you have two choices now:1 go further into a downward spiral
2 turn your life around by stop using drugs

no one can make this decision but you! i hope you make the right one

SteveWRX

Thanks for the info - I am unhappy about the denial of UI benefits - I did apply, I am waiting to hear from the adjuster... fingers crossed. I have applied for 30 jobs in the last week over the web Monster.com dice.com...

SteveWRX

I heard from the UI adjuster today, and she took down my side of the story. She said that she gave the company the same amount of time as me to contact her. She only calls once and leaves a message, if they company does not contact her the case may go in my favor.

I was well liked at my company, so hopefully they do not contest this while I try to get back on my feet and back into the workforce clean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">