• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminated due to medical restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

traci25

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I was on leave with my company. They had sent a letter to my house stating if I could not return to work by a certain date I would be terminated. Well, I was released to go back to work and it was before the date they specified. I called and left a message with my supervisor and told them that I had a few restrictions (which were really minor). The next day I got a call from HR and they told me they could not place me with my restrictions and they had to terminate me. Can they do that? My restrictions were no deep knee bends and no work on a ladder. I could have done my job with no problems. Any advice is welcome and thanks for viewing!

Beth3

Can they do that? My restrictions were no deep knee bends and no work on a ladder. I could have done my job with no problems. So does your job involve deep knee bends and working on a ladder?

traci25

Beth3 said:
Can they do that? My restrictions were no deep knee bends and no work on a ladder. I could have done my job with no problems. So does your job involve deep knee bends and working on a ladder?
I said I could have done my job with no problems. SO I GUESS THAT WOULD MEAN IT DOES NOT INCLUDE DEEP KNEE BENDS AND WORKING ON A LADDER! :rolleyes:

Beth3

No, it doesn't wise-guy. I've encountered plenty of posts and employees who said they could do their jobs "with no problem" while waiving a doctor's note saying they couldn't bend, reach, lift over 5lbs, etc. etc. when in fact their jobs required all that and more. I expect what they mean is that we should return them to work and pay them to sit around while their co-workers did 90% of the work for them.

Since I've had it up to here today with sarcastic replies from posters in response to legitimate questions, we'll have to see if someone else feels like answering your question now that we have all the pertinent information.

ekinney

Terminated

I know the company I worked for for 26 years had a policy that if you got hurt on the job and were on workman's compensation you could return to work on restrictions. If you were hurt outside the job you had to be 100% able to work, no restrictions what so ever. I used to think this was unfair but I tend to agree with Beth3. I used to get really aggravated to see someone come back to work on restrictions and all they had to do was sit and watch everyone else work. My job was manufacturing and it was hard to come back to work and give a 100% if you were still in pain or couldn't do anything like deep knee bends even if you didn't have to do them in your job. A lot of jobs require motions we don't realize. If I were you I would go in person to the company you worked for and speak to someone in human resources and get them to explain and what your options are now. Somehow it helps to come face to face with them. Good luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">