+ Reply to Thread
    tmoorega1977 is offline Junior Member

Terminated due to supervisor dishonesty

Four days ago I was on my way from Atlanta GA (my residence) to Columbus OH (the residence of my ex-wife and daughter) to attend a mandatory meeting with a caseworker from the Ohio Child Support agency. I received a written notice in the mail about the meeting approx. 6 weeks ago. I immediately informed my supervisor (Sergeant) that I would need to take 2 or 3 days off around Oct. 6th. One week ago I reminded my supervisor (in person) that I would need to take those days off (Oct. 4th, 5th, and 6th) and he said he understood. I reminded him again on Oct. 2nd and again he replied he was aware.

Tuesday morning at approx. 8am I received a text message from another supervisor (Lieutenant) stating I was classified as having quit my job, which I did not do. I asked why and was told that I was terminated for No-Call/No-Show on Oct. 4th. I replied that I had requested the time verbally when I spoke to the Sergeant. I checked the company handbook and all types of leave or reasons for time off are covered and most simply state to inform a supervisor (within a reasonable amount of time). I complained to the Lieutenant that the Sergeant had lied and I was fired as a result. He told me to contact the Sergeant. I attempted to do so but the Sergeant ignored or failed to reply to no less than 6 text messages within 2 days. I reported this to the Lieutenant who simply shrugged and offered little advice. To date, no investigation has been conducted even though the company handbook specifically says one will be conducted promptly when there is a complaint. As a resident of Georgia (at-will employment) do I have any legal options?
    swalsh411 is offline Senior Member
    You file for unemployment while you look for another job.
    pattytx is offline Senior Member
    You sound like a police officer. Are you in a union?

In this case, I wouldn't be quite so acquiescient as swalsh. Is there an HR person or Chief you can talk about the status of the investigation?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You have not won the law suit lottery; in fact, you haven't even won the law suit scratch-off.
    Its not a police department but it is run much like one. Most everyone who works there are former police officers including me. I've sent this up the chain of command but i'm not getting much feedback. No one seems even remotely interested looking into it. My side of the story was never asked. I've also observed other officers commit offenses far worse than mine but nothing was ever said. I can prove some of it but not all.
    Union member?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You have not won the law suit lottery; in fact, you haven't even won the law suit scratch-off.
    I wish, but no
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoorega1977 View Post
    I wish, but no
    So, unfortunately the fact is your recourse is, unemployment.

You will have a chance to dispute their decision if the contest your eligibility.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Quote Originally Posted by pattytx View Post
    You sound like a police officer.
    I took it to be a security guard
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    I took it to be a security guard
    Must have been my stint a few years ago working for a large city and paying police and fire departments.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Quote Originally Posted by pattytx View Post
    Must have been my stint a few years ago working for a large city and paying police and fire departments.
    Yeah, it sounded like it at first, but think about it...

you can't just fire a police officer like that, even if they disappear for a day or two on the job.
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    you can't just fire a police officer like that, even if they disappear for a day or two on the job.
    Police officers, generally, also have to give much more than verbal notice of time off.
    Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    Police officers, generally, also have to give much more than verbal notice of time off.
    All depends on company policy or, in my work experience, union contract.