• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated due to supervisor dishonesty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmoorega1977

Four days ago I was on my way from Atlanta GA (my residence) to Columbus OH (the residence of my ex-wife and daughter) to attend a mandatory meeting with a caseworker from the Ohio Child Support agency. I received a written notice in the mail about the meeting approx. 6 weeks ago. I immediately informed my supervisor (Sergeant) that I would need to take 2 or 3 days off around Oct. 6th. One week ago I reminded my supervisor (in person) that I would need to take those days off (Oct. 4th, 5th, and 6th) and he said he understood. I reminded him again on Oct. 2nd and again he replied he was aware.

Tuesday morning at approx. 8am I received a text message from another supervisor (Lieutenant) stating I was classified as having quit my job, which I did not do. I asked why and was told that I was terminated for No-Call/No-Show on Oct. 4th. I replied that I had requested the time verbally when I spoke to the Sergeant. I checked the company handbook and all types of leave or reasons for time off are covered and most simply state to inform a supervisor (within a reasonable amount of time). I complained to the Lieutenant that the Sergeant had lied and I was fired as a result. He told me to contact the Sergeant. I attempted to do so but the Sergeant ignored or failed to reply to no less than 6 text messages within 2 days. I reported this to the Lieutenant who simply shrugged and offered little advice. To date, no investigation has been conducted even though the company handbook specifically says one will be conducted promptly when there is a complaint. As a resident of Georgia (at-will employment) do I have any legal options?

pattytx

You sound like a police officer. Are you in a union?

In this case, I wouldn't be quite so acquiescient as swalsh. Is there an HR person or Chief you can talk about the status of the investigation?

tmoorega1977

Its not a police department but it is run much like one. Most everyone who works there are former police officers including me. I've sent this up the chain of command but i'm not getting much feedback. No one seems even remotely interested looking into it. My side of the story was never asked. I've also observed other officers commit offenses far worse than mine but nothing was ever said. I can prove some of it but not all.

CourtClerk

Must have been my stint a few years ago working for a large city and paying police and fire departments.:D
Yeah, it sounded like it at first, but think about it...

you can't just fire a police officer like that, even if they disappear for a day or two on the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">