• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated during sick leave.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azworker123

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I received a call from my boss telling me she thought it best I didn't report to work the next day. The day she called me was the second day I called in sick due to the flu. She told me that I would be paid for my work on Monday, but that I would not receive compensation for sick leave and that I would not receive my paycheck until the 31st of May. The company allowed 6 sick days and 10 vacations days available to it's employees immediately - no stipulations attached. Am I eligible for compensation for the two sick days?

azworker123

I understand offering benefits is up to the company. But when they offer benefits, then change the conditions to suit their own purposes, isn't there something that's supposed to protect workers from being cheated out of wages due? There is nothing that states anywhere that if they pay sick leave, and have done it for others in the past, they are required to uphold their policy?

pattytx

have done it for others in the past, they are required to uphold their policy?
Not in the case of sick leave, because there is no legal oversight. Did they tell you why you were terminated?

Beth3

Unfortunately, that does happen. As Patty said, your employer has no obligation to provide any paid sick days to begin with. If they don't wish to pay you for the missed day(s), they don't have to.

What they can't do is wait to pay you until the 31st of May. AZ regulations require that an employee who is fired receive their final wages the earlier of 3 days or the next regular pay day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">