• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated Employee Items & Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmaj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I terminated an employee and informed her she was not allowed on the premises to pick up her belongings, but they could be picked up or delivery could be arranged. She agreed to have her personal effects picked up and she designated an agent in writing, and signed it. The agent signed an agreement below before picking up any items upon arrival. I also signed/dated it, and had a witness sign & date it.
After picking up her items, she has texted myself, e-mailed the landlord and myself claiming that items are missing, and has claimed there are additional items there. She has threated to go to the DA (with a 24 hour time limit) via e-mail, and again sent an e-mail today stating…“After speaking with council and finding that you had to give me permission to come into the building and retrieve my things, I am giving you one last chance to return my things in the order they were loaned to your facility. And to return the items that you or your staff deemed was yours by mistake. I was instructed to give you 48 hours to take care of this matter to prevent further legal action.”

She has been driving by our company, parking her vehicle across the street and watching the building. She has texted employees repeatedly telling them they need to pray for forgiveness, that they are not going to heaven, etc. She has not provided any evidence of ownership for any items. She has no evidence that anything was loaned to the company.

1. Since she designated an agent, have we satisfied any requirement (if it exists) to allow her to come onto the premises?
2. What is the process in Texas for getting a Restraining Order / Cease & Desist contact with former, current, and future employees? Can we mail her something on company letterhead, or does an attorney need to do it on his/her letterhead? I can easily see her contacting our attorney multiple times to run up our bill.

The letters are below outlining the terms of the agreement.

Letter to Terminated Employee on September 23, 2013
“Your representative(s) may retrieve items from (Company Name) that are being stored at no cost until 9/29 from the hours of 9 am – 4 pm with a 24 hour notice. You are responsible and liable for retrieval, loading, transport, and delivery of items to the offsite location. Any items not retrieved by 9/29 at 4 pm CST will be disposed of. Your representative(s) must bring a signed letter from you authorizing them to retrieve your items. We dispute your ownership of the following item. Canon Printer. If you believe we are incorrect, please provide a full purchase receipt identifying payment method and card number (if applicable) to prove ownership. All other items that can be found at (Company Name) that are not in dispute will be available for pickup.”

Item Retrieval Signed by Agent on September 25, 2013
“The item list below constitutes the full and complete list of items located at (Company Name) belonging to (Terminated Employee). Acceptance of these items by signature below releases (Company Name) of any responsibility of the items once removed from (Company Name). Any items left on the premises will be disposed of. Once any item is removed, no additional items can be claimed by (Terminated Employee) her Agent/Representative.”

justalayman

1. Since she designated an agent, have we satisfied any requirement (if it exists) to allow her to come onto the premises?
where do you come up with the claim the designated party was an agent of the employee? They were simply a party designated to retrieve items for the employee. Due to that, that person has no authority to act as an agent of the employee. It appears you attempted to pull a fast one on the employee and they are calling you on it.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I terminated an employee and informed her she was not allowed on the premises to pick up her belongings, but they could be picked up or delivery could be arranged. She agreed to have her personal effects picked up and she designated an agent in writing, and signed it. The agent signed an agreement below before picking up any items upon arrival. I also signed/dated it, and had a witness sign & date it.
After picking up her items, she has texted myself, e-mailed the landlord and myself claiming that items are missing, and has claimed there are additional items there. She has threated to go to the DA (with a 24 hour time limit) via e-mail, and again sent an e-mail today stating…“After speaking with council and finding that you had to give me permission to come into the building and retrieve my things, I am giving you one last chance to return my things in the order they were loaned to your facility. And to return the items that you or your staff deemed was yours by mistake. I was instructed to give you 48 hours to take care of this matter to prevent further legal action.”

She has been driving by our company, parking her vehicle across the street and watching the building. She has texted employees repeatedly telling them they need to pray for forgiveness, that they are not going to heaven, etc. She has not provided any evidence of ownership for any items. She has no evidence that anything was loaned to the company.

2. What is the process in Texas for getting a Restraining Order / Cease & Desist contact with former, current, and future employees? Can we mail her something on company letterhead, or does an attorney need to do it on his/her letterhead? I can easily see her contacting our attorney multiple times to run up our bill.

The letters are below outlining the terms of the agreement.

Letter to Terminated Employee on September 23, 2013
“Your representative(s) may retrieve items from (Company Name) that are being stored at no cost until 9/29 from the hours of 9 am – 4 pm with a 24 hour notice. You are responsible and liable for retrieval, loading, transport, and delivery of items to the offsite location. Any items not retrieved by 9/29 at 4 pm CST will be disposed of. Your representative(s) must bring a signed letter from you authorizing them to retrieve your items. We dispute your ownership of the following item. Canon Printer. If you believe we are incorrect, please provide a full purchase receipt identifying payment method and card number (if applicable) to prove ownership. All other items that can be found at (Company Name) that are not in dispute will be available for pickup.”

Item Retrieval Signed by Agent on September 25, 2013
“The item list below constitutes the full and complete list of items located at (Company Name) belonging to (Terminated Employee). Acceptance of these items by signature below releases (Company Name) of any responsibility of the items once removed from (Company Name). Any items left on the premises will be disposed of. Once any item is removed, no additional items can be claimed by (Terminated Employee) her Agent/Representative.”
You know what belongs to her. Give her back anything that is her property.

bmaj

where do you come up with the claim the designated party was an agent of the employee? They were simply a party designated to retrieve items for the employee. Due to that, that person has no authority to act as an agent of the employee. It appears you attempted to pull a fast one on the employee and they are calling you on it.
You may be right, I did not explicitly say "Agent," but said Agent/representative on the form.
This is an assisted living facility, so I did not want the residents, some with dementia and/or psychiatric issues, to be further upset/confused or the employees to be bullied. She was the administrator and ruled by intimidation. I live out of state and she informed the employees they would be fired if they ever contacted me.

We ultimately did not challenge ownership of any items, and she is claiming items we have never seen. They are not worth the trouble for us to keep. She is now claiming matchbox toy cars...(that have never been there.)

Do we say you can come and take any item that you have documentation that is yours? (purchase receipt, etc.) Our company just wants to move on.

bmaj

You know what belongs to her. Give her back anything that is her property.
No seriously, she is naming stuff we don't even have! Some stuff we knew wasn't hers, but she claimed it, so we gave it anyway.

justalayman

=bmaj;3215864]You may be right, I did not explicitly say "Agent," but said Agent/representative on the form.
do you mean on the form you had the represntive sign? How do you get that the representative signing that form translates that the employee assigned a POA to that person?

This is an assisted living facility, so I did not want the residents, some with dementia and/or psychiatric issues, to be further upset/confused or the employees to be bullied. She was the administrator and ruled by intimidation. I live out of state and she informed the employees they would be fired if they ever contacted me.
got no issues with the overall reasoning for your actions. You really did not have to explain as in the end it is irrelevant but thanks for the explanation though.

We ultimately did not challenge ownership of any items, and she is claiming items we have never seen. They are not worth the trouble for us to keep. She is now claiming matchbox toy cars...(that have never been there.)
don't know what to tell you other than notify her that you do not have and have never held such items. If she wants to sue you, there is little you can do about it.

Do we say you can come and take any item that you have documentation that is yours? (purchase receipt, etc.) Our company just wants to move on.
do you keep receipts for everything you purchase? I know I don't. I have always had thousands of dollars of tools at work that I could never prove they were actually mine but the company I worked for also knew they were not theirs so there was never a problem in that area. Since it appears you are trying to work with the person, I would suggest you take a look around the place and attempt to determine if anything there is something your business would own or if it is something a person in her capacity may have brought to work. While I would not offer said items to her nor am I suggesting you provide a list and say; what's yours? I would keep that in your pocket without her needing to know anything about it. Then, ask her what she believes that is hers is still at the business. If she names something on the list, maybe consider turning it over. If it is something that is just not there, tell her. You can't pull it out of thin air.

bmaj

do you mean on the form you had the represntive sign? How do you get that the representative signing that form translates that the employee assigned a POA to that person?

Never assumed it was a POA, if that is what TX would require. It was her husband, and the former employee did drive and inspect the items that day in the parking lot.

don't know what to tell you other than notify her that you do not have and have never held such items. If she wants to sue you, there is little you can do about it.

do you keep receipts for everything you purchase? I know I don't. I have always had thousands of dollars of tools at work that I could never prove they were actually mine but the company I worked for also knew they were not theirs so there was never a problem in that area. Since it appears you are trying to work with the person, I would suggest you take a look around the place and attempt to determine if anything there is something your business would own or if it is something a person in her capacity may have brought to work. While I would not offer said items to her nor am I suggesting you provide a list and say; what's yours? I would keep that in your pocket without her needing to know anything about it. Then, ask her what she believes that is hers is still at the business. If she names something on the list, maybe consider turning it over. If it is something that is just not there, tell her. You can't pull it out of thin air.
Yeah, at this point, I think she is just going to have to sue us, or she can have her attorney come and pick up make believe items we don't have. Such a waste of time. I told her husband there were items she was claiming that we could not find, and he flat out told me they were never hers, but the hospital's down the road, and she had returned them (CPR Mannequins). She is just being vindictive. Oh well, cost of doing business I guess.

eerelations

If you're absolutely 100% sure you don't have any of her property, why don't you just ignore her? If she initiates a small claims suit, it will be on her to prove you do have the property. If she can't prove it, all you've lost is a few hours attending court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">