• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated for leaving sick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adamj

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi everyone,

I was recently fired from my position of courtesy clerk at Ralph's Grocery for, according to them, voluntarily abandoning my position. What really happened was I was sick and throwing up in the bathroom of Ralph's (happened twice) and I had asked my manager a total of 3 times if i could leave early. She denied me every time. The first time I was denied she actually offered me medication (pepto-bismol), but i didnt take it. The third time she started to ignore me. So I tried working more and started to feel faint and had to clock out and leave without telling anyone. The reason I did not tell my manager I was leaving was because I was scared to and I felt hostility from her.

After I left I went on a vacation for 1 week. During this time I did not at all know I had been terminated. I found out I was terminated by 2 of my friends calling me while I was away telling me they heard from a manager that I was fired. My employer never attempted to call me or leave a message notifying me I had been fired.

I do not want my job back, but I want the manager whom I asked to go home reprimanded, as I do not want her doing that again to other employees. I also want a written apology from her and my record which now states I was fired cleared.

I was wondering if any of these terms were possible. Also which, if any, California codes they broke. And if I can make a lawsuit out of this. The things I think they did that were illegal was them offering me medication, not letting me leave with a serious illness, allowing me to work with other people's food while i was ill, and also them letting out private information that I had been fired to other employees.

Thank you so much for your time everyone, it is appreciated more than you could imagine.

justalayman

Pepto -bismal**************......over the counter med not controlled by law

not letting you leave when ill**************callous but not illegal

working with other peoples food**************......don't know if you worked with prepared
food or not.....basically not illegal
possibly a health code violation....call you local healthth department

telling other employess you were fired.....not illegal

Not working for someone as callous as this......priceless

gawm

If you left without permission and did not complete 50% of your scheduled shift it is considered an absence. What is the reason they fired you? Your friends calling you is not how the Kroger Co. lets it's employees know they are being fired. How do you even know you were fired? If you didn't show up on your next scheduled day after your vacation then in all likelihood you were terminated for no call/no show. If you feel you were unjustly terminated file a complaint with the union. They will be able to get your job back and back wages at best. You will never get an apology or any of that other crap you asked for.

Last edited:

justalayman

gawm said:
If you left without permission and did not complete 50% of your scheduled shift it is considered an absence. What is the reason you got fired for? Your friends calling you is not how the Kroger Co. lets it's employees know they are being fired. How do you even know you were fired? If you didn't show up on your next scheduled day after your vacation then in all likelihood you you terminated for no call/no show. If you feel you were unjustly terminated file a complaint with the union. They will be able to get your job back and back wages at best. You will never get an apology or any of that other crap you asked for.

OK how did you go from Ralph's to Kroger's along with the assumption it is union? Did I miss something?

adamj

Kroger owns ralphs, and yes i am union. Sorry I left that out as I know it is very important. I called my company after I found out from a friend that I was fired, they said it was true. I was fired for voluntarily abandoning my position, as quoted from them.

justalayman

Then what are you waiting for.... for gosh sakes get hold of your union rep and talk to them. File the neccessary grievances. Those are the people you should be talking to, not wasting time getting some strangers opinion on an internet forum. :(

gawm

How long ago was this? You have a limited time to file a grievance for unjust termination. The union should be able to get it down to an unexcused absence which would only be a write up. I wouldn't expect any back pay however. I don't know how much time you got in but if it is a significant amount I would try and get your job back. You can always transfer to another store if you're unhappy at that one. Good luck!

TSOL

From your post it sonds like you left in the middle of your shift without letting anyone know that you were leaving and then went on vacation for a week the next day. As you never bothered to call your employer back and speak to a manager about this it sound like they assumed that since you just left in the middle of your shift and made no attempt to contact them that you didn't want your job and abandoned you posistion. Most employers that I've worked for would also take this position if I walked out in the middle of the day and made no attempt to contact them and explain myself.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your only hope is through the union, since leaving in the middle of the shift without telling anyone IS grounds for termination, regardless of whether you were sick or not.

It is not up to you to decide if the manager gets reprimanded or not. Nor are you entitled to an apology, written or otherwise, under the law, particularly since you were fired for a legitimate reason.

HomeGuru

atomicperm said:
You keep stating what you want. I WANT a million dollars. Can you help me out? :D

**A: send your letter with your name and address and we will select the most touching one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">