• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated for medical reasons...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RogerT

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Montana

I have recently been terminated from my job. I am having to undergo medical treatments for what has been diagnosed as a life-threatening condition that I have had since birth. Over the last year it has gotten worse and pursuing treatment for it has become critical.

Before I began the surgeries (I must have 5-6 of them, one every other month--I just had my first last month), I discussed the problem with my employer and was told they would "work with me on this" and that it wouldn't be any problem--that I should schedule and undergo the surgeries. I also explained to them how I may not be able to talk real well for a week or two upon returning. As my job does not require me to see or talk with clients, I was told again this would not be a problem.

I took off work for the recovery period as previously discussed. However, the firm was very light on "billable" work and would not let me return to work for two weeks, even though I was perfectly able to work. They said it was because I was unable to talk to clients. After two more weeks, I received a letter of termination, due to the upcoming surgeries and recovery periods.

This just doesn't seem right. Is this legal? The firm only has about 15 employees. Is this something I could pursue a disability discrimination claim for? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated--I'm just not sure what to do now...

Thanks,

RogerT

Beth3

Roger, even if you medical condition falls under the ADA (which has not been determined) a "reasonable accommodation" does not include an employer offering unlimited amounts of leave time. The situation is very unfortunate but it appears your employer has been pretty accommodating so far and apparently concluded they had done as much as they could.

You may wish to consult with a local employment law attorney as there may be pertinent facts you haven't mentioned here but based on what you have posted, I don't see a cause of action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">