• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated - Need help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ter09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I need your help please....I have been terminated or rather my position has been elimated. Reason being the entire dept work is being outsourced. Interestingly not all positions within the department have been eliminated. The company was able to find positions for some of them. I have a good reason to believe they could have found something for me within the company.

My performance was been very good last several years so performance is not the issue. Needless to say it came as a total shock to me.

I plan on consulting a lawyer tomorrow on this. Any advice on where and how do i find them ? Do I have a leg to stand on ?

Thanks a lot.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I need your help please....I have been terminated or rather my position has been elimated. Reason being the entire dept work is being outsourced. Interestingly not all positions within the department have been eliminated. The company was able to find positions for some of them. I have a good reason to believe they could have found something for me within the company.

My performance was been very good last several years so performance is not the issue. Needless to say it came as a total shock to me.

I plan on consulting a lawyer tomorrow on this. Any advice on where and how do i find them ? Do I have a leg to stand on ?

Thanks a lot.
There is nothing a lawyer can do for you. There was nothing illegal about your termination. Don't waste your money.

File for unemployment, spruce up your resume and start looking for a new job. I know it is difficult, but a positive attitude during these difficult times will get you noticed.

ter09

File for unemployment, spruce up your resume and start looking for a new job. I know it is difficult, but a positive attitude during these difficult times will get you noticed.
AOG, thanks for the very quick response. I appreciate it.

I guess I am ticked off because all this was all done on the sly. They could have been more honest about this.

Dont get me wrong, I will probably get another job pretty quickly. (and hopefully will never file for unemployment..). My skillset is fairly marketable even in this economy.

Just that it is humiliating when they do this to you after being such a great employee.

Antigone*

AOG, thanks for the very quick response. I appreciate it.

I guess I am ticked off because all this was all done on the sly. They could have been more honest about this.

Dont get me wrong, I will probably get another job pretty quickly. (and hopefully will never file for unemployment..). My skillset is fairly marketable even in this economy.

Just that it is humiliating when they do this to you after being such a great employee.
I hear you, but I strongly encourage you to file for unemployment. It may only end up being a few hundred dollars if you find employment quickly but it is intended to be used for situations just like yours.

ter09

ok, I have a reason to believe I was discriminated....Even then, dont worry about it ?

I mean how the hell do you explain a good employee being let go while average or below par being retained ?

Are you saying, not worth fighting for ?

cyjeff

ok, I have a reason to believe I was discriminated....Even then, dont worry about it ?

I mean how the hell do you explain a good employee being let go while average or below par being retained ?

What is your basis for discrimination?

Before you answer, were their people with your same, legally identified personal characteristic that WERE kept on the payroll?

In other words, if you are Jewish, were other Jewish people kept?

Antigone*

There are lots of reasons why one employee is kept over another. If the reasons for letting you go were based on age, race, sex, disability, religion and/or national origin then you may have been wrongfully terminated.

If they did not use these reasons to terminate you, you just need to get over it and move on.

ter09

I can understand, to an extent, if all the jobs in the dept were outsourced...(even though I would still dislike being done on the sly).....does not make sense..

something does not seem right....

Appreciate all the responses.

ter09

What is your basis for discrimination?

Before you answer, were their people with your same, legally identified personal characteristic that WERE kept on the payroll?

In other words, if you are Jewish, were other Jewish people kept?
yes i do belong to the minority....the others arent....hate bringing this as an issue but looks like that's what is going on here...the ones who were picked belong to the fairer sex....

And trust me qualifications wise, I am way ahead....I mean plenty ahead. yes i was paid more but the value they got out of me was alteast 3 or 4 times more. So financially it made total sense to retain me.

Let me put it this way, they could have found me another position within the company if they wanted to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless there is a valid and supportable reason to believe that they did not find other work for you BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, or because you are over 40; or BECAUSE of a reason protected by some other state, Federal or local law, then it was not ILLEGAL discrimination.

Contrary to what far too many people believe, most discrimination is perfectly legal.

ter09

Unless there is a valid and supportable reason to believe that they did not find other work for you BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, or because you are over 40; or BECAUSE of a reason protected by some other state, Federal or local law, then it was not ILLEGAL discrimination.

Contrary to what far too many people believe, most discrimination is perfectly legal.

cbg, i get what you say in your post above. It is very difficult to prove that they were not inclined to find other work BECAUSE of my race....

Does not matter what i believe, right ?

But i totally agree with you on your last statement...."most discrimation is perfectly legal"....I believe that's what happened here.

so having said that, is it worth pursuing this ?

PS : Guys/gals, again, please I am not crying over this....I WILL find another job. It is just that i am very proud of who I am and this whole thing does not make any sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">