• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated with NO cause.....can't find a lawyer that is willing to take my case yet.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IAMOKAY

MISSOURI........I was recently "let go" due to "not fitting in". That was the reason that they gave me. I will try to make this short and to the point about what happened to me and I am hoping someone has some suggestions or advice for me. Started job 3 months ago (5 days short of coming off probation when terminated). Came off orientation abruptly when they needed help one day. I was then made charge nurse almost everyday that I worked for the remaining time I was there. Lots of rumors started by other nurses that had been there a long time. My EX boss would call me at home and beg me not to quit just because people were saying things about me. Everything was going great until last week when 3/4 through my shift I was told to gather my belongings and go to HR. I was in charge that day and was very busy. I had talked to my EX boss off and on all morning and things were as usual. I had complained to her about my paycheck being short again for the 6th time since working there (every single paycheck I got was short). She worked hard to get it for me. But by the middle of the day I was terminated. Reason: "You just don't fit in". I tried to get out of her what that meant and she just simply said, "you just don't fit in here". The HR guy and her kept saying that they needed to do this before my probation period was up. Several issues that had been dealt with during my employment were all of a sudden brought back up. Rumors had been spread that day and my EX boss took their word for it and would not let me defend myself. She was so angry that the HR guy had to keep settling her down. Please understand that I am an RN and have been for many years. I was in charge almost everyday that I worked, I had absolutely no disciplinary actions against me and again my supervisor would constantly reassure me that she really liked me and would beg me not to quit just because some other nurses were telling her stuff about me. I dealt with harrassment, hostility, and gossip the entire time I was there. Last but not least, she told me that a doctor had come to her with concerns about my patient care of his patients. She stated that it would be up to him if my license was turned into the State Board of nursing. They then quickly told me NOT to say anything to this physician about what they had just told me. This particular doctor is my personal physician! Well of course I called him the following day to confront him on the issue and he stated that he never went to my ex boss about me. He stated that she had come to him. So needless to say he was VERY upset that he was partially blamed for me being fired. So what do you think I should do? Has anyone ever won a wrongful termination suit against an employer? I just turned 40 a month after I was hired and all of my co-workers were 30 or younger. "didn't fit in".....does that mean because I wasn't best friends with all of them that I got fired? Because I didn't go out and party with them or swap recipes that I didn't fit in? All of these people hang around together and they are viscious against others (I have heard them talk about others so horribly). What do you think? Thanks!

R

Ramoth

I don't see anything in your post that indicates you were terminated illegally. Wrongful termination is termination because of a protected characteristic (age, race, gender), or because you exercised a perotected right (FMLA, ADA, etc.). The fact that you were the only 40 year old in a bunch of 30-something's does not qualify in and of itself.

I'm sorry, but I think your only option here is to move on.

Beth3

The reason why you can't find a lawyer to take your case is because you don't have one. The situation may have been unfair but nothing in your post suggests the employer acted unlawfully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">