• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated for notice of two weeks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

collegestudent

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey. I was recently terminated from my job as a server at a local restaurant. This restaurant is corporate-owned and therefore, has mandated rules that apply to every branch of the company. I have worked in the restaurant business for almost 4 years now, to support me through college. I have never had a problem in any of the places in which I worked, despite all of the ethical and moral issues that go no "behind closed doors". Anyway, I went into work this evening and saw that I was not on the line-up for the dinner shift, one of my permanent scheduled days, as well. I went upstairs to speak with the management and they told me that the GM terminated me because I gave my two weeks notice, and because I said I could work an up-coming holiday and then gave my two weeks instead. First of all, I never said I could work the holiday, I said I would check with my future landlord about when the lease starts for my housing for the spring semester, and I would let one of the managers know at the restaurant. Second of all, I told the GM on the day of my hire that I would be returning to school in January, and there was no stated problem with that. I wanted to leave on good terms, so I let them know in advance of when I would be leaving, and I even gave them more then two weeks notice. Because of this termination, I may not have enough funds to return ot school. Another side note, there was another employee that gave her two weeks and she is still permitted to work her last shifts until that time period. I feel that this termination was unjust and grounds for discrimination, due tothe fact that I gave my two weeks because I was leaving for school. I have seriously considered taking this General Manager to court and suing him for discrimination for the cost of my tuition for the next 3 years. Would I have a standing case in court, or is there a better way to go about getting the funds desperately needed for the continuing of my education?

collegestudent said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey. I was recently terminated from my job as a server at a local restaurant. This restaurant is corporate-owned and therefore, has mandated rules that apply to every branch of the company. I have worked in the restaurant business for almost 4 years now, to support me through college. I have never had a problem in any of the places in which I worked, despite all of the ethical and moral issues that go no "behind closed doors". Anyway, I went into work this evening and saw that I was not on the line-up for the dinner shift, one of my permanent scheduled days, as well. I went upstairs to speak with the management and they told me that the GM terminated me because I gave my two weeks notice, and because I said I could work an up-coming holiday and then gave my two weeks instead. First of all, I never said I could work the holiday, I said I would check with my future landlord about when the lease starts for my housing for the spring semester, and I would let one of the managers know at the restaurant. Second of all, I told the GM on the day of my hire that I would be returning to school in January, and there was no stated problem with that. I wanted to leave on good terms, so I let them know in advance of when I would be leaving, and I even gave them more then two weeks notice. Because of this termination, I may not have enough funds to return ot school. Another side note, there was another employee that gave her two weeks and she is still permitted to work her last shifts until that time period. I feel that this termination was unjust and grounds for discrimination, due tothe fact that I gave my two weeks because I was leaving for school. I have seriously considered taking this General Manager to court and suing him for discrimination for the cost of my tuition for the next 3 years. Would I have a standing case in court, or is there a better way to go about getting the funds desperately needed for the continuing of my education?
What do you gain from being professional in an unprofessional environment? Retail, waiters/ waitresses, service industry jobs are high turn over always needing people kinda jobs. You tried to be professional in the situation (I can see that) but depending on the manager who felt like you didn't have to give two weeks and I need to sign up people and train them now to replace you. It is managements decision and they made it and moved on. You can find a job doing that almost anywhere so suck it up and go find another....

collegestudent

YEs, I understand the unprofessionalism, but as of this termination, I am not going to have enough funds or time to get another job before leaving for school. This isn't the first time someone was screwed out of a job because of "the rule of general manager" goes no questions asked. I may not be able ot afford my housing, nor tuition for that matter if I cannot coninue working.

justalayman

Basically unless you were discriminated based on what the Fed gov has on their list (you know... the race, religion, sex etc. list) you are usually without a job and no recourse. Being a jerk, unfair, uncaring etc. is not illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Would I have a standing case in court, or is there a better way to go about getting the funds desperately needed for the continuing of my education?

You would get laughed out of court. This is not remotely any form of illegal discrimination. It is perfectly legal to accept your resignation early. They have no legal obligation to let you work out your notice period.

You MIGHT, depending on your state law, be eligible for unemployment for the remainder of your notice period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">