• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated officially or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PASS

What is the name of your state? CA

I worked for a company as an employee and was given a certain time frame to buy into the practice as a shareholder. I chose not to become a shareholder and was told that the corporation was not looking to keep any physicians on as employees. The contract read that shareholder position would begin at such a date and new contract would override existing one, but termination implied a written notice of 90 days from either party if for no cause. I wanted to stay on as an employee if given that opportunity but it was not. I realized that after I had left, I was never given a written termination notice -- it was all verbally understood. Because of another situation that came up, they now have requested that I sign a termination agreement. Wouldn't that imply that I was not yet terminated as of the original contract and have rights that I was wrongfully terminated then?

Beth3

Wouldn't that imply that I was not yet terminated as of the original contract and have rights that I was wrongfully terminated then? Not necessarily. It may just mean they're tidying up their records. Either way, it wasn't a wrongful (illegal) termination.

Since this is a contract dispute, you're going to have to show the contract(s) to an attorney if you want a valid legal opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">