• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated for reporting company violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cskate

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Oregon
I was employed at a country club as a cook. During slow times the chef and several members of the kitchen staff would leave the kitchen and golf. The golfing outing escallated to a regular basis including drinking while golfing. All participants where still on the clock during the golf outings; a direct viloation of company policy. During one such outing the General Manager came into the kitchen inquiring where staff was. The G.M. stated that he knew something was going on. After questioning by the G.M. I did say that yes, the golfing was frequent and several of the participants returned to work with alcohol on their breath. I excluded from the conversation that not only had I observed them drinking while on the clock but also smoking pot outside the kitchen. When the group returned the chef was confronted. He became angry and told me to leave. I was fired the next day by the restraunt/bar manager for making false statements to management. The G.M. told me he would give me a good reference and that he had to "trust his management team". After my firing, a waitress told me that the restraunt/bar manager (1st mgmt job 22yrs old) found the kitchen staff (including the chef) smoking pot the next night. He told them he wasn't going to fire them and they "needed to cool it". I feel like I was fired in retailation for reporting the company viloation and concern for safety. Any chance for wrongful termination?

pattytx

If you were reporting a violation of law to an outside agency, you would most likely have some protection as a "whistleblower". Unfortunately, be it fair or not, there is no legal protection for a employee who reports a company policy violation within the company. They could also fire you because they didn't like the color of your socks, but that wouldn't be illegal either. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">