• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated while on approved unpaid leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryalyn

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Trying to make a long story short... I was on an approved medical leave of absence, short term disability, when a conflict with my physician and his refusal to complete any more forms, ended my paid leave. I was placed on an approved unpaid leave of absense for medical reasons in March 2004. I received a certified letter from my employer on Nov 6th, 2004, giving me 3 business days to respond or they would consider me to have abandoned my position and be terminated. The date specified in the letter to contact them by was Nov 5th, 2004. Since I didn't receive the letter until Nov 6th, it was impossible for me to contact them before the deadline. I tried several times to contact them after I rec'd the letter, but no one returned my calls. The next week I rec'd a termination notice dated and effective Nov 5th. The specified deadline had expired and I was terminated, all before I even received the letter. Does this sound like wrongful termination?

Beth3

Does this sound like wrongful termination? No. Among other things, you were on leave in excess of six months. At the maximum, your employer was only obligated to extend 12 weeks of leave time to you and your employer did far more than that. If they wished to terminate your employment, regardless of any timing problems with a letter they sent, they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">