• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated while in Hospital

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elocin45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Can you be terminated while in a mental hospital? My brother was suffering from depression and checked himself into the hospital (Tuesday). He notified his place of work and was told the insurance was good and it would be covered. His benefits were terminated the next day (Wednesday). He was not notified about his benefits or being terminated until he went into work today.

Thank you for any help.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Can you be terminated while in a mental hospital? My brother was suffering from depression and checked himself into the hospital (Tuesday). He notified his place of work and was told the insurance was good and it would be covered. His benefits were terminated the next day (Wednesday). He was not notified about his benefits or being terminated until he went into work today.

Thank you for any help.
Brother should really post for himself. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer is yes, there are circumstances where an employee can legally be termed while in the hospital. There are also circumstances where they can't. You have not provided anything resembling enough information for us to tell which is the case here.

Let's start with how long your brother has worked for this employer, how many employees they have, and how much time your brother has missed for medical reasons in the last 12 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">