• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated without any reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

Hi,

The company I worked before let me go without any reasons; my boss did not even know it until the last day and he even tried to keep me. The letter stated terminate date and etc. Give extra weeks of pay. That is.

Then I found out they hired another person doing similar job weeks later. I have been with that company for more than 9 years in the R&D department. The company has about 60 employees and 6 engineers in the R&D group. Nerve had any issues with anyone in the company.

My question is can they do that? Do I have a case to sue them and for what reason?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Over 40. So, there is no law to protect employee?
You have a small chance of prevailing based on your age. I would suggest that you consult with a local employment attorney to review the facts of your case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just being over 40 is not enough to make this illegal. Do you have any evidence that you were termed because of your age? Are there other employees over 40 working there. Why did you wait 6 months before inquiring?

Zigner

Just being over 40 is not enough to make this illegal. Do you have any evidence that you were termed because of your age? Are there other employees over 40 working there. Why did you wait 6 months before inquiring?
Agreed - that's why I recommended a consultation with a local employment attorney to review the facts of the case.

shawnusa

I do not have any evidence to prove. They forced one to retire, but he is over 70 years old, they also give hard time for another one who is 70 years old.

Yes, there are employees over 40 working there.

I was chat with one person last week and he said I may have a case, I thought the employer can do anything they want in US until last week.

Zigner

I do not have any evidence to prove. They forced one to retire, but he is over 70 years old, they also give hard time for another one who is 70 years old.

Yes, there are employees over 40 working there.

I was chat with one person last week and he said I may have a case, I thought the employer can do anything they want in US until last week.
I suspect that you don't have a case for age discrimination. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">