• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated without reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DChristian112

What is the name of your state? MN

Today, I entered work, ready to begin my daily projects, called into my superior's office, and handed a letter, it stated:

"Dear D_,
We regret to inform you that upon recommendation of the Personnel Committee and voted on by the Council, your employment is to be terminated immediately.

No reason is needed or given. SO, your file will reflect such action.

You will be paid through 10-31-03, plus any unused vacation days. Matt Hausken will inform the Treasurer to write a check within one week.

We thank you for your efforts and wish you well in the future."

I did ask for a reason, they claim it has nothing to do with my performance or any interpersonal relationships with other co-workers, by that comment, I mean any personal feelings of negativity by other co-workers. (Been having issues with other coworkers.)

I asked three times for a specific reason, I asked if my performance has been negative- answer: No. Does this have to do with any insubordination? Answer- No.

My six month probationary period ended on October 8, with a review that was satisfactory. I was also suppose to be given a raise effective today as well.

They claim an "issue" came about recently, but I do not need to be informed about it.
Isn't this illegal? Don't I have a right to know WHY I was fired?

Do I have the right to sue?
Please advise.
Thanks.

R

Ramoth

You are in an at-will state, which means that you can be fired for any reason, or no reason, as long as it's not due to illegal discrimination. You were fired for "no reason", which is legal. If you want a better answer, file for unemployment and see what reason the company provides for firing you.

Beth3

A few States require the employer to provide a terminated employee with a document stating the reason for termination upon request (often called a "service letter"), but I don't believe Michigan is among them.

D

DChristian112

Thanks for the responses.

I am in MN, not Michigan, Beth, but thanks.

I have contacted them, and although they still refuse to give me a reason, they will allow unemployment.
Will I see the reason stated in the unemployment forms?

Thanks.

dequeendistress

I am so glad they keep a history of posts by user here!

If I were you I would sue them...keep in mind I said if "I were you" But...I am not and since I read your other posts...I am sure you will harrass the hell out of lucky to be rid of you employer.

Why are you not reporting your income change to the local HHS agency so they can increase your foodstamps and while you are doing that...why don't you file with an employment agency, and list all of your qualifications...this should take all of two (2) minutes.

As far as them not stating a reason... you evidently knew something was up, did you not post about "slander" to your employer thru an e-mail.

I believe your employer should and would give you a copy of your personnel records if you ask for them nicely and in writing. What does the personnel policy say. The HR rep should have given you a copy.

If the employer denies the UE claim...I think you will be allowed to object and within a period of time you, the employer and a rep from the unemployment office will have a phone interview in which all sides present their *aheem* "story".

Last edited:

Beth3

DChristian, if your employer contests your eligibilty for UC benefits, then yes, you will be informed as to what reason they are alledging you were terminated and thus are ineligible in their opinion.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Minnesota, an employee who has been terminated must receive a reason in writing as to why they were terminated, IF they request the reason, also in writing, within 15 working days of the termination. They have 10 working days from the receipt of the request to respond. The law specifies that you may not use this written statement from the employer in any action for libel, slander or defamation.

D

DChristian112

Wow, IAAL, you are so clever, and to think, I doubted your intelligence momentarily. Yeah, they had a no skank policy, that was so charming of you to add to the other responses. Clever, very.

I was denied a reason to know, i requested three times verbally, in front of the President, he himself said he will not release that information.

I do not need to contact any HHS, because I am no longer on welfare, and I have not been on for quite some time, but thanks for that input, however unnecessary.

I am not on food stamps either, but again, thank you.

I do not plan to go back on welfare either, I was "approved" for unemployment, and I also have a savings account which should hold me over for three months. You always have to be prepared, N'est pas?

"Why are you not reporting your income change to the local HHS agency so they can increase your food stamps and while you are doing that...why don't you file with an employment agency, and list all of your qualifications...this should take all of two (2) minutes."

Quite a clever comment. However, I do not need to file with an employment agency. I should be just fine, thank you for your suggestion though.

"If the employer denies the UE claim...I think you will be allowed to object and within a period of time you, the employer and a rep from the unemployment office will have a phone interview in which all sides present their *aheem* "story"."

And I know how an appeal works with a denial in UEI. Thank you again, for your ingenious ideas, however, unnecessary.

I need no further responses, I have contacted a real attorney, and my case has been stated and made.
Thanks for the responses from CBG, Beth, and Ra mouth, which were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">