• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminated/work for a union

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwnsan

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I have worked for a hospital for 21 yrs. 19 of which I worked in the dietary deptartment and 16 days short of 2 years in the pharmacy dept from which I was recently terminated. When I was hired the management was aware that I had never worked in or had any experience in a pharmacy. When I started the job I was informed that I was being hired to do the billing for the phamacy along with other tasks. I never had any formal training with anyone that had much billing experience and although there were people available to ask questions, none of them had much more training than I. In early 2004, I was informed that as of Jan 1, 2005, I would have to be certified in order to continue my employment with the pharmacy. I took it upon myself to study and take the exam and as of December of 2004 I became a certified pharmacy technician. In April of 2005, It was brought to my attention that my margin of error needed to be 5% or less. I was told by management that he would type something up for me to sign, stating I was verbally notified of this and that never happened. About 6 weeks later I recieved a memo from management that he had conducted an audit of the errors in certain parts of the billing and the results. I never was asked to sign anything stating I had recieved this. 2 days later I was called into the human resources office and was terminated. There was never any effort to give adequate supervision or training to correct the mistakes that were being made.
In the 21 yrs that I was employed with the hospital I was a member of and paid dues to Rusk County Memorial Hospital and Nursing Home Union, Local 2241, AFSCME, AFL-CIO. In the union contract it states: The normal procedure of discipline and/or discharge shall include only the following:
A. Oral Reprimand
B. Written Warning
C. Suspension
D. Discharge
It also states that only in gross neglect or misconduct, the employer has the right to suspend any or all of these steps.
I feel that these steps were not followed appropriately or that I recieved any support from my union representative in this matter. What can I do?

Beth3

This is not a wrongful (illegal) termination. The employer was free to discharge you if they felt your job performance was unacceptable. Your only recourse is to file a grievance with your union. If your local won't assist you, then I presume you can contact the regional or national office of the AFL-CIO.

It also states that only in gross neglect or misconduct, the employer has the right to suspend any or all of these steps. Since we don't know how many errors you made or how egregious they were (for all we know, you could have given someone a medication that might have killed them), nobody here can comment on whether your employer has violated the CBA and whether there is good reason your local union leadership won't support you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">