• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating An Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FRANKTAMMIE

On Friday, we(the owners) changed an employee's shift to accommodate medical recommendations from a dr she is seeing for a work comp claim. She went crazy, screaming and crying. She had 2 hrs left of work. She refused to go back to work and stood behind the register, harassed customers, made degrading remarks about us, slammed company equipment. she did this for the whole 2 hrs. She said that she refused to work the new hours and said she would not be back tomorrow. Under our own work rules, we can terminate her immediately for insubordination, refusing to work, harassing customers. We decided to do this. I wrote a termination letter the next morning, but she called out sick. She will probably call out sick tomorrow too. then she is supposed to work on thursday. When is the effective date of termination then? is it when she comes in on Thursday or the day I wrote and dated it? I have to let the work comp people know as soon as possible if she quit or was fired. what do i tell them?

L

loku

I believe the termination becomes effective at the time it is communicated to the employee. So if you want to end this now, call her and fire her. Make a business record of the call and have a witness sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">