• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ch48166

What is the name of your state? michigan ihave been terminated from my job at the time i was on short term disablility now my doctor has released me to go back to work my job said i could reapply when i could work well i have done that and i have not heard anything and it has been a week how long do i have to wait before i can go to unemployment? i mean i need money and i don't know what to do

Beth3

You should apply for unemployment benefits right away. Your employer saying you could reapply when you were able to work was not a guarantee of re-employment and even if they wish to hire you back, they may not have any openings.

Apply for UC and start reading the want ads and applying elsewhere for open positions. Do NOT wait for your former employer to make you an offer - there are no guarantees that they will.

C

ch48166

thank you for the advice actually me emplorer contacted me today and said they would not know anything for 2 weeks because their going over the budget (sure) i just don't want to mess up my chances for unemployment believe me i have been reading the want ads and there is not much out there especially making what i was.what do you think about unemployment ?

Beth3

"what do you think about unemployment ?" What I think is that you should apply. You'll probably be eligible for benefits but you'll only know for certain after you apply and the UC Division makes a determination. Quit screwing around here and do it NOW, as UC benefits are NOT retro-active. Every week that goes by is another week in which you're forfeiting benefits.

Keep reading the want ads and if a job sounds possible, apply for it whether it pays as much as you were making before or not. (1) It'll probably be more than you'll be receiving for UC benefits, (2) you'll have the possibility of qualifying for group heath and other benefits that I expect you no longer have, and (3) you can always quit if your former employer makes you a more lucrative offer. And if you do, give two weeks notice. You never know when you're going to need a job again.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I may add something to Beth's post:

4.) In most if not all states, continuation of UC benefits is dependent upon actively looking for work. Waiting around for your employer to make an offer that they may not make and are not legally required to make will NOT fulfill that requirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">