• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunshine69

What is the name of your state? Texas
My employer is planning on terminating me (female) and 2 other females claiming that we are the conspirators of harassment and causing progress to be completed in a timely manner. The supervisor has never written us up or given any kind of warnings such as disciplinary action. He has not witnessed any of this action with his own eyes only going by what 1 of the other females being laid off was telling him. He is a new supervisor and is trying to make changes to a system that he knows nothing about and says he cannot complete the task with the current employees. Is there a law that an employer cannot terminate someone if the employee has never been written up or even warned about? Also, wandering about the layoff with ALL the women in the department, is there some kind of law regarding this, sexual discrimination? After an incident between me and a temporary (female) with the temp yelling on a personal phone call to her ex-husband, I walked over to her area and asked her to keep it down; she turned around and started yelling at me, telling me that I needed to stay out of her personal business and I needed to leave her alone. I turned around and immediately went into the VP's office and told him I would not put up with that. I then sent the supervisor an email stating that I needed to talk to him ASAP. He called me in and asked what was going on. I told him that I was not going to put up with that and I did nothing wrong. He then called all of the females in one by one and asked their side of the story and also got some other information regarding things that happened even when he was not even working here yet. He then put all the information into an email and forwarded it to the VP and he agreed on the plan to terminate the employees but to talk to the Executives and let them know what his plans were. I feel that there is some kind of rights the employees have here against the employer. One of the females had nothing to do with the incident but is being blamed as a co-conspirator?

Last edited:

Beth3

Is there a law that an employer cannot Terminate someone if the employee has never been written up or even warned about? Nope.

Also, wandering about the layoff with ALL the women in the department, is there some kind of law regarding this, sexual discrimination? Only if he's selecting individuals for layoff or termination because they are female. That doesn't appear to be the case. Rather it appears he is eliminating the individuals who either (a) can't get with the new program he's trying to establish, (b) can't get along with one another; or (c) he considers a problem to work with. All of those reasons are perfectly legal.

After an insident between me and a temperary (female) with the temp yelling on a personal phone call to her ex-husband, I walked over to her area and asked her to keep it down It doesn't appear you're a member of management. Who gave you the authority to instruct/chastize a co-worker?

"I feel that there is some kind of rights the employees have here against the employer." None that apply to any of the situations you describe here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">