• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination for 1st time substance abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tara

What is the name of your state?Wisconsin

My place of employment fired me for substance abuse. It was my first time offense, and I immediately sought rehabilitation. Does Wisconsin adhere to the law that an employer must offer rehabilitation in lieu on termination on the first offense? Please, if you know the answer let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Beth3

Does Wisconsin adhere to the law that an employer must offer rehabilitation in lieu on termination on the first offense? There is no such law in any State. If your employer wished to fire you for being under the influence of an illegal substance while at work, that was their decision to make.

Tara

Are you sure? I believe that there is a law on the books for some states which states that an employer must offer an employee the chance to rehabilitate on their first offense. I guess I just want to know if Wisconsin is one of those states.

Beth3

I am in Wisconsin and can tell you with absolute certainty that there is no such law in this State - nor is there in any other.

You're not the only poster I've seen here that believes the employer has to offer rehabilitation to an employee the first time he or she tests positive for drugs or alcohol. I don't know where that misconception came from but it's completely untrue.

Zephyr

Tara said:
Are you sure? I believe that there is a law on the books for some states which states that an employer must offer an employee the chance to rehabilitate on their first offense. I guess I just want to know if Wisconsin is one of those states.

I believe that is a voluntary policy some employers have or some unions have.

Beth3

Some employers do indeed have such a policy but as you say, it's voluntary - it's certainly not required by law.

mlane58

I'll reiterate what Beth3 has stated. I also have never heard of such a law and cover over 15 states to include wonderful California, which would the only state who might have such a law, but they don't

BelizeBreeze

Tara said:
What is the name of your state?Wisconsin

My place of employment fired me for substance abuse.
Good
It was my first time offense, and I immediately sought rehabilitation.
So?
Does Wisconsin adhere to the law that an employer must offer rehabilitation in lieu on termination on the first offense?
Your are still on drugs
Please, if you know the answer let me know as soon as possible.

Thank you!
Just did.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I was able to locate one state which has a law similar to what Tara is describing; however, that state is not Wisconsin. Another state does require a first time offender to be offered rehab but that state is not Wisconsin either. Finally, a very small handful of states prohibit the employer from terming a first time offender IF THE SAMPLE HAS NOT BEEN SUBJECTED TO CONFIRMATION. None of those states are Wisconsin, which, as Beth says, has no law even remotely resembling Tara's hope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">