• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jolieblond

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My son and other coworkers were recently fired from their jobs for "boosting the tip jar". There is no excuse for what they did because any one with common sense knows that this is stealing, but my son honestly didn't think he was doing anything wrong.

He is 23 years old and has worked continually since he was 16 years old, except for a couple of months when he graduated from high school and moved to attend college. As soon as he was settled in his new city, he got a part time job and has been there for 4 years now. He was promoted 3 months ago to a shift manager, and he had decided that he was going to remain with the company and make a career for himself there. The benefits were great, paid vacation, raises, stock, health insurance.

The District Manager called him and set up an appointment to talk with him and told him that he had a project for him and that he wanted to see how he was doing. My son was excited about this meeting and called me to tell me that he hoped that he would be given an opportunity to move up, and if not that he would tell the DM that he had intentions to remain with this company and would do whatever it took to move up.

He called me with tears after his appointment and told me that he had been fired and said that he was in shock and didn't even know what he had done wrong until it was explained to him that they had been watching him and others for 4 years "boosting the tip jar". My son explains that he was told by his very first supervisor to do this and that everyone, including supervisors, did this. On occasion they would not ring up a sale, take the money and put it in the tip jar which was divided weekly among all employees.

He was also told that they would not press charges, but that he would have to pay back the money they figured he had taken, which was a substantial amount, and that they would work with him on that. He also had to make a written statement giving names of others that he knew were doing this. He was told that his name would not be disclosed. He was told that they would not give him a bad reference when he applied for other employment, that they would simply say that he was separated, not rehirable, but that he was a good worker.

There is something I don't understand. If they were watching this go on for 4 years, whey did they promote him 3 months ago, and why did they wait 4 years before bringing this to a head? Why didn't they just fire them as soon as it happened? Why wait 4 years? Either my son is not telling me the whole story or there is something fishy going on here.

Another thing, other than what my son told me, I have no idea what he was actually signing. I'm concerned that they will come back at him and file charges, but after his initial upset he has decided that he is going to move on, pursue other employment, and chalk this up to a valuable lesson. The thought that they could come back at him and file charges has not even crossed his mind. He believed every word they told him. Can they come back and charge him?

I need some expert advice on this if anyone has any to offer.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">