• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JGrasso

What is the name of your state? PA.

I was recently terminated after only four weeks of employment. I don't really know the reason, all I was told I wasn't "a good fit". The company wants me to sign a General Release Form stating I was terminated, and is offering two weeks severence pay. I checked with a public entity who recommended I change the language, and state I was laid-off and initial the document and date it. I was told if I receive the severence check, then the company accepted the general release form with the changes and everything would be fine.

However I received the form back, and I was told I need to sign the document in its original form within the 45 days from the termination, and I'd still receive the two weeks severence.

My concern is certain companies ask in their application if I was fired in the last three years. I don't feel comfortable signing this release, then saying no to this question. I think this is unfair because I only worked four weeks, and this shouldn't affect my ability to obtain a job for the next three to five years.

I also exhausted my unemployment benefits from being laid off last year, and have no benefits. What happens if I don't sign this general release? I need the money but the two weeks severence isn't worth runing my life for the next three to five years. What could my former employer due to me if I don't sign and acknolwledge this termination?

Thanks,

JGrasso

VeronicaLodge

and you were terminated whether you sign it or not and need to answer truthfully on future applications unless you want to get fired again. and if you dont sign it you wont get any severance as they are not obligated to offer you anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">