• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jrsmom

i live in southwest texas.
Recently I was called, to go to work at a very private ranch. Friends I have worked with recomended me for the job. The job was housekeeping.
I went for an interview on Nov. 24th was hired and told to come back on the 31st to fill out the paperwork. I received a phone call on the 29th asking me to come in as soon as possible.I was going to be paid as contract labor untill Dec. 1st like was already aggreed.I went straight to work. We filled out the paperwork no the 31st just like aggreed.
I started as an employee on Dec. 1st. Now on monday they have desided to not hire me because I have a husband and 3 children.
They knew that when we met for the first time on the 24th.
They have informed me I will be payed as contract labor for the days after Dec.1st that I worked also.

Is this allowed.

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all.

In your case, it is possible that firing you because you have a husband and 3 children may be sexual discrimination. To know for sure, you would have to discuss this with a Texas employment law attorney. However, since the job is low pay and since you worked there such a short time, there may not be enough monetary loss to justify a case in sexual discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">