• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination bc i have to step down?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I work for a home improvement retailer. Been there for little over 4 years and have spent this last year as a supervisor. At this time, I have so many things going on outside of work that I need to take care of, that it would be a better choice for me to step down from supervisor. Stepping down has been something supervisors and managers have down for as long as I've been with the company and reaches well into its last 20 years. Now they say that 6 months ago a policy was formed where there is to be no more stepping down of any kind, essentially if you self demote yourself, you are terminated. I can say absolutely that one supervisor did step down within those 6 months they claim. He was not terminated. They claim that a major business call was made after he had already stepped down where essentially the higher management decided to enforce this policy. Now here I am, ready to step down not out of performance issues but out of the fact that I will need to find a second job to make ends meet and the fact that the stress involved with the position has put me into depression. I spoke with my manager and explained that I will be needing to find a second job and thats why I'll need to be able to step down, all he did was look at me. So I asked if when I need to get a second job I'll end up having to look for 2 jobs. He said basically yes.
Main thing....Is this legal? To essentially terminate me because I will need to get a second job? If it is legal what can I do to prevent it?

Beth3

Main thing....Is this legal? Yes. No laws require employers to offer you a different job within the organization if you elect to resign from your position.

To essentially terminate me because I will need to get a second job? I understand why you're looking at it that way but what's actually taking place here is that you've decided to resign your position.

If it is legal what can I do to prevent it? You can escallate your request to be placed in an available position to more senior management and see if they'll change their minds but that's all you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">